Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Total Recall

It does not look good for baseball fans in the Hub City as it is very possible that today could be the day that the Hagerstown Suns begin the process of escaping town for the traffic gridlocked town of Fredericksburg Va.

I think both parties in the end will regret the move.
Quinn and the Suns will be going to an already saturated baseball area (MLB,AA,High A and Indy ball all within 50 miles) with issues getting to his park with traffic seems to make his move one doomed for long term failure.
Hagerstown will as well,when they realize that losing the Suns means losing affiliated baseball for good and if they want it at all in the inferior Independent leagues,they will still be building a new stadium anyway.

However,I blame Mayor ( I use the term very loosely) David Gysberts and the traveling band of non-rolling stones known as the City Council most.
We have heard at the end of each of the last three months that a major announcement was forthcoming and yet,none were announced.
The truth is,these people had little interest in saving the team.
Both the Mayor and three of the council members ran on an anti-stadium platform and then attempted to deceive the people of this community with them "working" on the facility.
Say what you wish about Penny Nigh (and I have),but she at least had the courage to be consistent in her opinions,as dumb as I believe they are.

 So in that vein,I will say this-I volunteer.
To help or even lead up a recall election procedure for the mayor and city council as soon as this move becomes official.
There was little I or anyone else could do to stop the team from leaving,so as bad as I feel,I cannot beat myself up for that,but I was told by someone recently that they had "hard time believing I'd carry through with my threats to attend city meetings etc" if the team left.
Perhaps they were right,so let's go further.
Spread the word,send us to anyone interested,send us to the Herald-Mail,( who finally nailed the city with a hard nosed editorial today),send this to WHAG,whatever you wish.
I don't believe anything I can do can save my ballclub,but I wager with the right help-I can help make the people that took my ballclub pay with their elected seats.

Thanks for reading....

No comments: