Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Boxing Challenge-Alvarez flattens Kirkland

The boxing challenge returned with four bouts and I pulled into a tie with R.L.Malpica for the lead in the standings.
I earned five points to his four and tied the score at 49 all.

First,I was able to watch the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight and I was surprised.
The first six rounds were more entertaining than reported and for a Floyd Mayweather fight not bad.
The last six? Pretty dull.
I scored Mayweather a 116-113 winner.

I added three points to Ramon's two for the top live fight of the weekend as Canelo Alvarez knocked out James Kirkland in the third round.
We each got two points for the Alvarez win,with the bonus point going to me for predicting a third round knockout.
I've a bit critical of the power of Alvarez being a little overrated and full credit to Golden Boy Promotions for putting a good opponent in the entertaining Kirkland that was going to put the best light on its star-A face first fighter that was going to showcase Alvarez's power.
The fight was very entertaining,yet you never had the feeling that Kirkland ever truly was going to threaten Alvarez.
Alvarez should face Miguel Cotto in the fall,should Cotto get by Daniel Geale in June in an anticipated battle.
I'm not really a fan of either fighter,but I'll be rooting for Alvarez in that one.
I believe that Canelo Alvarez will eventually fight Gennady Golovkin-I doubt Miguel Cotto ever will....

R.L and I each earned two points for Omar Figueroa's unanimous decision over Ricky Burns,but both missed on Jamie McDonnell's win over Tomoki Kameda on a PBC card on CBS.
I missed both bouts because the local CBS affiliate in Washington pre-empted that show for a Washington Nationals game.

We also both missed on a European bout as Fedor Chudinov decisioned Felix Sturm in a super middleweight bout....

No comments: