Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Buckeye Christmas

The Buckeyes might not be playing until the 29th in Dallas, but thanks to my wife and my mother in law, my Christmas was predominately Ohio State based.

The lovely Cherie bought a badly needed new cooler for work with the OSU logo of course, a Tervis tumbler to add to my many Tervis's for the house with the 70's style 'running' Brutus logo, a stainless steel Tervis Buckeye tumbler which is going to be very handy in keeping warm things warm this winter,which from how it feels outside right now might need the help and the shocking surprise-An official piece of Ohio Stadium Field Turf!
Never saw that one coming!
Cherie always knows how to catch me off guard!

Add to that, my mother in law, Beverly buying me an OSU Backpack and it really was a Buckeye year under the tree.
I'm trying to diversify for graphing season this year and even though the briefcase will not be retired anytime soon and will still be the usual workhorse, but I wanted a backpack for certain occasions that I needed something more than I can carry by myself, but in a more flexible container than the briefcase and this fits the bill perfectly!

I also added several DVD sets from Rachel, Ryan, Cherie and Beverly including the final season of Parks of Recreation to finish that set,3 more seasons of King of the Hill, the entire 1960's Filmation cartoons set of Batman (I so dearly loved those as a child) and another season of Rawhide,so I have plenty of new things to watch over the brutal winter to come (bleech).
Thanks to all of you for everything!

The holidays are about more than just what you get and even give and that's pretty cliche'.
It's easy to fall into those after all.
What is important, after all, is the people that you share it with.
The people important to you both blood and otherwise.
My nuclear family takes care of me all the time and my relationship with my son is one that I cherish, but I don't talk a lot with other relatives with one exception-my cousin Missy and I have become very close over the last few years and speak quite often.one
I'm pretty sure that name is not the one I would have picked ten years ago as my closest relative, but I'm really glad that she is!
I have gotten closer to my grandmother since my grandfather passed and that relationship has been one that I've really enjoyed rebuilding.

I mentioned people in my last post, but I really wanted to mention my friends again in this post because sometimes we get hung up on considering "family" blood relatives and often times that's bunk.
I have people related to me that I wouldn't cross the street for  (cousins, folks, not close relatives!) and I have friends that call me multiple times a week to see how I am doing and not just about how the sports world is- about how Shawn is doing.
It is very seldom that a day goes by that the phone doesn't ring and one or more of Fred Landucci,Mike Oravec or Derreck Chupak isn't calling and seeing if I'm Ok, how I am and if I need anything.
It is a refreshing change for me and for the first time in my life, I feel like I have people around me that truly have concerns about me as I do about them.
Thank you,gentlemen-It means a lot!

Before leaving the holidays behind, I'd like to say one more thing- as good as this has been and it's been a really good one, I have missed Big Ed.
The first Christmas in a while without the big guy has made things a little different and we all miss him.
It'll never be the same without the look toward the fridge for a treat and the dark trudge through the crunchy snow to take you at 5;30,Ed- I'll always miss you...

More soon...



No comments: