Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Losing Interest

No, I'm not losing interest in the blog.
In many ways, I'm enjoying writing more when I do make time to write, but I have noticed some things over the last few months that I wanted to note.

Things that I used to watch constantly, I find myself occasionally watching now.
Since the Adam Henrique trade, Rachel hasn't watched a Devils game and I think I've watched one.
I would have never have realized this before, but maybe it wasn't the game I was enjoying, it was the time with my daughter with something that we had in common.
Currently, that's not there and there's a little bit of a hole.
Nothing against hockey (or the Center Ice dollars seemingly down the drain), but I didn't realize how much I was enjoying having someone to watch the game and share a team with.
Perhaps to the point of losing interest, since she has.
I'm sure if the Devils make the playoffs, things will pick up and I hate to be one of "those fans", but I'm hoping that these are temporary circumstances.

Wish I could say the same about basketball, where my college interest has been slipping for years, although I've been somewhat excited about Ohio State basketball's revival under Chris Holtmann and I still watch a fair amount of Xavier games.
And the Cavaliers- What a disaster as it seems like every day there is another example of dysfunction, lazy play, front office issues and drama that makes me not just wonder about life without LeBron James (as soon as next year, perhaps), but even life with him for a team that looks like they are on the verge of mailing it in for the season with the trade deadline approaching.
Watching any games of this team is frustrating beyond belief- Look, I'm used to watching bad teams in all sports, so it isn't the bad play, it's the talent on the team combined with a lack of effort and a mesh of highly talented players that seem to have been accumulated by someone without the mildest interest in building any type of team with chemistry at all.

I'm not losing interest in autographs, but I am delaying putting away last years cards and they are still sitting around.
I'm even considering over next off-season to begin the process of selling/giving some of my accumulated stuff away.
Nothing that I have to keep and I'm keeping the things that I want to keep, but move the stuff I can live without to a more appreciative home and roll that money into other things that I want to collect more.

You know what else I'm losing interest in?
Politics.
I'm just so beaten down by the resident in the White House that even the political game is getting old to me.
I like the horserace part of politics the most, but the policy aspect is important as well and with the total mess in Washington, I'm beginning to become sick of the entire thing.

It's not all bad news though.
I'm reading more as you might see from the" Shawn is reading" module to your right and it's not all sports either.
I like reading on many different topics, although I've never been much of a fiction reader and I've been using the downtime of the winter to catch on reading a bit.

I'm playing a lot of Action Football as I wrote in the Jackie Wallace piece, doing the things that I really love with baseball prospects and the NFL draft and I've even been following Ohio State football recruiting closer.
It's not that I'm checking out high school videos like I do for the NFL draft, but I do enjoy reading the various Buckeye sites that take recruiting far (FAR) more in-depth and seriously than I do.
I've also been watching more tv shows on DVD with both the family and at work.
It's always nice to watch shows that you know that you'll like!!!

I've also been watching some other shows on "regular" television and maybe one day, I'll mention a few of those..

Hope that catches you up a bit and I might be back soon with something else that I have been working on.






No comments: