Thursday, March 22, 2018

Snow dance or No dance

Yes, it was the first day of spring with opening day just
over two weeks away and after a winter without the awful
whiteish grey glop, spring arrives in the Hub City and here's a foot of fluffy garbage.

Since I couldn't find a Hagerstown snow globe and I didn't take a picture, I used a Cleveland one instead and an unshaken globe to follow my wishes for no snow!
I did, however, try to get a picture of the various Cardinals at my bird feeder, but of course, whenever I had the camera (Ipad) at the ready, the birds that I wanted to see were nowhere to be found.

The snow-covered roads canceled school and as a result, canceled an exciting Fire Safety class (I'd rather have finished it than make it up next week during an 11-day work run), but I did shovel a little and planned on working on what I was working on- pictures for Action football and basketball along with continuing to chip away at the DVR collection to move things off the recorder.
I was called into work early through the snow (roads better than expected) and I've written in the past how much I despise winter and snow, but if it is a night that I don't have to travel or get stuck at work, it's kinda nice to just hang out at the house and spend time with the family.
A few notes from during the storm.

I was able to watch the Sam Darnold pro day and came away with my opinion confirmed that Darnold should be the Browns choice as their franchise quarterback.
Throwing the ball extremely well through a pouring rain (who says it never rains in Southern California?) and showing solid athleticism, Darnold is the guy for the Browns and he is the player that I want for the Browns first pick in the draft.

Watching a few shows on television that I follow and some of them appear to be jumping the shark.
Gotham has been very disappointing with its spring return with a replacement casting for "Poison Ivy" and it appears so far to have lost its way.
It's a tough balance to keep your audience involved with the anticipation of "Bruce Wayne" becoming Batman, yet not keep them waiting too long that by the time you make that move, they don't care anymore.

Designated Survivor was a show I really liked in year one with one notable exception-a character that just doesn't fit my idea of a show about the White House administration with an intelligence agent running all over the place and only having a minute amount of involvement with the President and the White House.
Well, that character (agent Hannah Wells) is even more of a part of the show this year with her adventures and it feels like the writers have really missed the boat.
If the show returns for season three, I'm hoping for a way to remove this character from the show!

Timeless returned for a second season on NBC after a long absence following its first season.
The biggest issue that I had watching its return was that it had been so long (13 months) since it had last aired, that I had forgotten much of what had occurred!
The three lead stars are very good (Abigail Spencer, Matt Lanter, and Malcolm Barrett), but the big question to me is how long can they play out the premise of good guys vs bad guys changing American History?
Sooner or later, one has to win and it might open up more storylines, if the good side eliminates the bad, but has to continue to clean up their messes through time travel.

Wrapping with the end of the second season of the HBO comedy/drama Divorce, which I find to be quite interesting with the story of a divorced couple and how the story progresses from there.
I've never been a fan of Sarah Jessica Parker and I have liked Thomas Haden Church in the past (Wings), but the real treat is the supporting cast with Molly Shannon, Tracy Letts and especially Talia Balsam, who all add the intangibles to a show that successful shows always need.
Balsam has been a solid character actress for years, but I remember her all the way back to the 80's in a "Family Ties" guest appearance as a wild girl that intimidated Michael J. Fox's "Alex P.Keaton".
When you watch that episode, you get the feeling that the writers/producers of the show were floating a trial balloon for Balsam's character to be the love interest, but it wasn't meant to be.
Too bad as I would have wagered that Balsam's character might have made a much more interesting foil for Alex compared to the later interests played by Tracy Pollan (who wound up marrying Fox) and Courtney Cox.
Balsam is definately one of those actors with the chops to be a huge star, but never received the right break..







No comments: