Monday, May 14, 2018

Cleaning out the inbox- Women's sports edition.

With so much cleaning that still needs to be worked on, I had enough for our first ever all women's sports edition- That shows just how much I had built up!

I was tired after a long day, so once the first half of the Cavaliers loss was over, I fell asleep, so no coverage of a game that the coverage wouldn't have been fun to write or read anyway!
Not going to win many games shooting 36 percent from the floor.
Game two from Boston Tuesday.

We start with Lisa Kerney's announcement to part ways with ESPN.
Kerney, who is married to a favorite of mine in his playing days in former Seahawks and Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney, was a favorite of mine when she worked the late shift Sportscenter a few years ago when I actually watched Sportscenter!
Kerney hosted ESPN's Fantasy Football show last year on Sunday's, so she'll be missed there.
ESPN just makes me shake my head at times with their personnel decisions.
I'm bad luck with ESPN because if I like someone's work, they usually don't have long in their tenure.
I'm sure someone will scoop up Kerney in short order as soon as she would be available.

I wrote earlier this year about the run of Ashland University's women's basketball program, which ended in their loss in the national title game.
Their 2016-17 national title and 73 wins in a row will attract attention from other schools and they will come calling in for your coach and sure enough, Bowling Green hired the Eagles (and my favorite coach) Robyn Fralick to a six-year contract.
Fralick went 104-3 in three years at Ashland and the trip to Bowling Green isn't a long one in distance, but the jump to Division I will be a bigger one.
Fralick's Ashland teams were really fun to watch and I watched a few of their games on Sports Time Ohio.
They played a fast-paced style and Fralick will attempt to turn Bowling Green into a similar run and gun program and she'll have her work cut out for her at BG, who went 38-81 over the last four years.
I'm quite a Robyn Fralick fan and I'll be paying attention to her and her new nest at Bowling Green
Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer talks about Fralick and Ashland basketball here and writes about Fralick, Ashland, Bowling Green and her replacement at AU in former Eagle Kari Pickens.


I've written about Jessica Korda on the LPGA tour in the past as well, but Korda had a severe jaw surgery over the winter that left her with 27 screws still in her face.
What also happened as part of that reconstruction is a marked difference in her appearance and a resurgence in her play on tour.
Korda has won already this season and has four top ten's in the short season thus far.
Korda discusses the new look, her game and the surgery with Golf Channel here and makes a hilarious podcast appearance on Golf.Com with her sister Nelly here.




No comments: