Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Ten Things I Think

Ten things that I think returns from hiatus and although it is usually sports related, I try to sprinkle a thing or two outside sports as well.

1)  Thanks to the Browns Scout Podcast for the shoutout to the blog here!
When I did the podcast, Scott Dryden was a regular guest and Scott and Brad Ward do a great job with their podcast.
Now, Scott would have done another draft guide, as his book is truly missed.
Look them up on your podcast host of choice or on Twitter.

2) Should the Browns try to move back into round one Thursday night?
I lean towards no unless someone is there that absolutely should not be available late in the first.
I'm hoping to do some Browns related posts over the next two evenings.

3) On the Browns podcast, Scott and Brad mentioned two non-football notes that I'll opine on.
Tiger Woods winning the Masters?
I'll pass.
As an avowed Non-Tiger fan (Much like our President, my dislike comes from his behavior and attitude on the course, his well-publicized off-course problems had nothing to do with the dislike)
I give him plenty of credit for the return from back problems- back problems rank right up at the top of injuries that either end of change careers in any sport and to recover from those and win a major?
Tons of kudos for that, but as Scott said on his show, he didn't suddenly become a great guy because he won -only the media makes that stretch because it's a good story.

4) The other topic was the NBA future of Duke forward Zion Williamson, who is expected to be the top pick in the NBA draft in June.
Scott really liked him, while Brad compared him to the Lakers Julius Randle.
My comparison goes back a few decades to Shawn Kemp.
The "Rain Man" was explosive on the block and yet could shoot as well, but Kemp's game went south quickly when he wanted out of Seattle and gained a lot of weight very quickly.

5) The last time I wrote on these, I jotted a few words about the only TV station in town-WDVM might be better off going away if they were only going to offer re-runs and local news.
Since then, WDVM, which isn't on Directv for starters, has been off Antietam Broadband, the top cable provider for over four months.
Perhaps the time has come to decide what they are and is it worth the cost of doing business anymore?

6) I've made it clear that I dislike the Washington Capitals, but I'm making an exception and rooting for them in Wednesday's game seven against the Carolina Hurricanes.
I always liked the old Hartford Whalers, but the Hurricanes dropped quickly upon their move to Raleigh and after the punk move made by Carolina's owner Tom Dundon with his folding the AAF without finishing the season, they have fallen to the absolute bottom.
Until Tom Dundon sells the Carolina Hurricanes, I hope they are a bad, boring hockey team with lousy lottery luck and I'll be rooting for the Capitals tonight.

7) Has anyone tried a "Pickle Pop"?
I saw these on the shelves yesterday shopping and wondered about them.
As a dill pickle (You can keep your sweet or bread and butter, thank you) fan and as one that prefers frozen items such as lemonades and Italian ices to ice cream, I'm intrigued, but frozen pickles???

8) I didn't even know that a channel named Viceland existed, but their program on stories of pro wrestling- "Dark Side of the Ring" has been very good thus far.
If you are a fan of wrestling from days gone by, I highly recommend it.

9) Unless you have a team involved, there can be little doubt that the NHL playoffs are superior to the NBA version being played at the same time.
The NBA is filled with chalk winners and far more blowout games, while the NHL gives a higher amount of dramatic games and with often surprising results.
Both top seeds in the NHL were swept and an underdog can often roll deep into the playoffs- tell me the last time one saw that on the court.

10) The best fight in boxing is Terence Crawford vs Errol Spence.
We may never see it, but it is the best the sport has to offer.
Who do I like in that one?
I do have a choice, but it's very close- Perhaps another time

I'm going to attempt to do Browns pieces over the next two days on needs and players of interest.
Until then.

No comments: