Saturday, July 6, 2019

More Sports Podcasts

One year ago today, I wrote about some of my favorite podcasts to listen to and I thought I would mention some again in case they might interest you.
Some of them might be repeated from last year and others are new, but here are the sports staples of mine.
I'll have the non-sports list in a future edition.

For Boxing, my favorite still has to be The Three Knockdown Rule with Steve Kim and Mario Lopez.
The show is more than just news and notes, Steve talks to fighters at the gym, the show hosts boxing people in the studio such as Eddie Hearn and Bob Arum and the best part is the opinions, where both Kim and Lopez don't allow promotion affiliation to affect their thoughts.

A new boxing podcast has leaped into the second spot as Chris Mannix hosts the SI boxing podcast.
Mannix, who also works the DAZN broadcasts in various roles, relies more on guests than the Three Knockdown Rule but also isn't afraid to challenge guests with opinions.
Mannix also hosts an NBA podcast entitled the Crossover that I have recently begun to listen to as well.

Scott Dryden's Browns Scout Podcast continues to be my go-to podcast for the Browns.
Dryden watches games, analyzes tape and breaks things down far more than the average media member
As I wrote last year if you are into straight forward football talk without the bells and whistles, this should be the Browns show that you choose to listen to.

The wrestling podcast of choice is still Jim Cornette's Drive-Thru, where Cornette's hilarious takes on questions from fans on old school wrestling are still the funniest of the week.
Cornette's other show, the Experience, is funny, but often strays from wrestling, so if that bothers you, stick to the Drive-Thru.

Conrad Thompson hosts several podcasts, but one that stands above is his What Happened When with former WCW and current Gwinnett Stripers (Braves AAA) announcer Tony Schiavone.
Usually, the pair swaps all sorts of talk while rewatching a past NWA/WCW show with Schiavone's recollections along the way.
It is my favorite of the Thompson family of podcasts.

The other wrestling podcast that I enjoy is the Mid-South Wrestling television review where Brian Last and Mike Mills go chronologically through the Mid-South weekly television shows one at a time.
It doesn't provide the laughs of the above shows, but the Mid-South TV show was, in my opinion, the best of its time and it is great to see episodes that I never saw in their time along with analysis of the show to compare to my own.

I often keep podcasts that are really good downloaded to my IPad just to listen to whenever I want and the show that I have the most retained is easily Tim Hanlon's Good Seats Still Available.
Tim usually has someone on his show that discusses a defunct league or team and items like that are in my wheelhouse.
Still waiting for his show on the Cleveland Barons and Crusaders though!

From the same ilk, Warren Rogan's Sports Forgotten Heroes is another show with discussions on leagues that didn't make or players that were excellent, but not quite Hall of Fame level.
It's the players that were excellent but fell back into time that I love hearing about and if you enjoy that too- You will like this one.

I don't have regular listens for the Indians, Giants or Cavaliers, although I have tried a few from each team, However, I have been listening to a Devils podcast a bit of late.
Devils Insiders Radio has been a interesting listen of late as the off-season progresses, so I'll likely stick around.

I'll be back with the non-sports podcasts soon and the next planned post will cover my road trip to Lakewood and Trenton.





No comments: