Thursday, August 6, 2020

Whiling away the hours

Do you ever feel like the world is crumbling around you, and yet you have shifting priorities?

That's somewhat the feeling for me as the sports world returns, and I'm surprised a bit.
Perhaps it's because I don't have a team to root for in the NBA and NHL postseason or that baseball seems about as thrilling as watching violence redacted Rambo film, but I'm surprised at how little I've watched thus far.
I have been watching the Vancouver-Minnesota and the Nashville-Arizona series as the results of those will affect the Devils in the upcoming draft as far as positioning with their draft picks, but otherwise not very much at all.

Hockey without fans seems a little more enjoyable than baseball or basketball, but I'm not really watching a lot else for now, although that could change when the NBA hits the actual playoffs and I'm sure it will should football actually start.
I'm not convinced that is going to happen, but I'm sure I'll be ready to go in the event that they do kick off the season, but for now- blah.
I never thought I'd feel blah about sports and it may have taken a pandemic for me to feel that way, but I've always said that when things are taken away, people don't always return as they find other things to occupy their time.
I'm not saying I'm at that stage, but it could take more normalcy to return to my regular programming already in progress.

So what have I been up to?

Lots of player pictures for the various games, watching television, and waiting for a few things to be decided.

The games have been fun to work on with finding pictures for the 2019 minor leagues and straightening out the mess that was the release of the 1984 USFL season and I did take the metal detector out once-resulting in a major pain for me.
I wound up getting into some sort of plant that must have a dislike for me as the results were blisters and sores all over my hands and legs that are only now going away a bit.
As far as television, Cherie and I have been watching shows on Netflix, finishing Once Upon A Time since the last update, and now are working on Longmire.
I really like Longmire, although I find many of the supporting cast annoying and I'm sure I'll find something new to watch when that is concluded.

What I have missed are the trips that I would have taken had baseball been on time.
I haven't missed the grind of the local autographing circuit, which makes me wonder how much I'll be involved even if the Frederick Keys manage to stay in minor league baseball.
The Keys were listed in the original list of teams to be cut, but I think with their attendance and support, the Keys will survive.
They'd better because the Hagerstown Suns avoiding the cut is a lost cause and a loss that I came to terms with years ago.
Should Frederick lose their team, the nearest teams to me will be Harrisburg and Altoona, and going to those towns all the time is simply impractical.

I've been trying to slack off politics because sometimes I just can't take much more of the same routine.
I've followed enough to stay current, but watching too much can change my mood quickly.

I have no idea who the choice for Joe Biden's V.P. will be for sure, but if the rumored choice of Kamala Harris is the pick, I'm not thrilled.
Women candidates don't bother me and I have no problem voting for a woman as long as she's a good candidate- no different from a male candidate.
I'll still be voting for Biden anyway, but Harris comes off very disingenuous to me and there are other possibilities for the ticket that I prefer.

Other than those topics and tossing a drunk off my back porch, there hasn't been a lot going on and the blog has suffered a little.
Sometimes, I just don't have things to say without the different sports on hold and after thirteen years of the blog, the low-hanging fruit as far memories go have been picked quite a while ago.
However, dry times have occurred before at the world headquarters and things always get refreshed.

I think that catches things up with me, so next time will be an inbox cleaning, or maybe something else will catch my eye for a topic.

No comments: