Monday, September 11, 2023

Buckeyes pound Youngstown 35-7

   Kyle McCord threw three touchdown passes to lead Ohio State to a 35-7 home victory over Youngstown State.

Marvin Harrison Jr. caught seven passes for 160 yards and two touchdowns with Emeke Egbuka catching five tosses for ninety-four yards and a score to lead the offense.

Ohio State will host Western Kentucky next week in their final tuneup before Notre Dame.

This will be a little shorter than usual as I did miss some of the second half due to work issues.
Olentangy Offerings

1) Kyle McCord looked better than he did against Indiana and to me, clearly established himself as the starting quarterback.

McCord throws a pretty pass and while he still needs to show what he can do against better teams, I think McCord is the best option under center.

2) I was happy to see Devin Brown receive some playing time but Brown finished seven of thirteen passing and lost a fumble.

Brown's skills and style make me think that he might have been a better fit in an Urban Meyer offense rather than a Ryan Day version.

3) I also hate Brown being number 33.

While I like the respect for picking 33 to honor Sammy Baugh, I always think it's a trick play from the fullback when I instantly see 33.

4) Twenty-five percent of the offense moved through Marvin Harrison and Emeka Egbuka, which was a radical change from the Indiana game, but I think the Buckeyes are looking for a happy medium from the two games.

5) I expected the pass rush to explode against the Penguins and it didn't finishing with two sacks.

That will have to improve as the season progresses.


No comments: