Friday, October 13, 2023

Hughes starts fast in Devils opener

    Jack Hughes scored twice in the second period and Dougie Hamilton broke a two-all tie with under five minutes to give the New Jersey Devils a 4-3 win over the Detroit Red Wings in the Devils home opener at the Rock in Newark.

Erik Haula added an empty net goal with ninety seconds left in the game to complete the scoring for New Jersey before Detroit's Robby Fabbri cut the lead back to one goal with thirty seconds remaining.

Vitek Vanecek made thirty-two saves in net for the Devils, who will host the Arizona Coyotes this evening at the Rock.

Hell Raisers

1) I ran out of time before I could do my planned Devils preview, and maybe I'll have time next week to do a slightly delayed version but I'll try to mix a few items in over the next few wrapups just in case I don't get to that.

2) I like this team and its setup.

Tyler Toffoli was a steal in the off-season and only losing Tomas Tatar and Miles Wood is a pretty good trade-off, although I'll miss the wild dashes of Wood up and down the ice.

I think the Devils have even more potential as a free-wheeling skating team and in an evolving game, the Devils' ability to continue to play a fast-paced style will be a benefit against most teams.

3)  The largest concern that I would have stated, had I had time for a preview, would have been goaltending.

 I don't think Vitek Vanecek is an elite goalie but he's far from a sieve, and I'm hopeful for the potential of Akira Schmid long-term.

4) Vanecek was excellent tonight and it was due to him that the Devils left the first period in a scoreless knot.

It's always easier to relax when you feel that you have a true number-one netminder and while I'm not sure that you win Stanley Cups (although you can go a long way with a hot goalie) with goalies of Vanecek's level, they won't hold you back very much either.

5) Considering that Jack Hughes finished last season with ninety-nine points, it would be a "duh" prediction to give him one hundred this season but I'll go one better- I like Hughes to reach one hundred and twenty points, assuming he's healthy.

Hughes will have a full season of Timo Meier (although Meier was on the Nico Hischier line in this one) and perhaps even his brother Luke as improved finishers and I think Hughes may be on the verge of contention for the Hart Trophy this season.

6) Luke Hughes is the type of defenseman that this franchise has lacked since Scott Niedermayer and he's only going to get better.

Solid at both ends of the ice and it's just a matter of time before he gets more comfortable on the offensive end and when that happens- Look out!

I'll wager very soon if not already that teams wonder just why Seattle, Buffalo, and Anaheim passed on Luke Hughes.

7) Dougie Hamilton's blast in the third period broke the tie and the veteran's booming shot will be counted on this season.

All About The Jersey wrote about the eventual Hughes/Hughes/Hamilton triad on the power play and the havoc that the varied skills of the three players could wreak on opposing teams.

It makes sense with Hamilton's big shot, the passing abilities of the Hughes brothers, and their various offensive weapons.

I started this last night and barely finished before the puck drop vs Arizona.

I hope to have time for a recap but if not I'll be around after Monday's game vs Florida and perhaps blend the two games with more thoughts on the season. 

No comments: