Friday, April 26, 2024

Browns on the clock

   After a first night of the NFL Draft that saw a jaw-dropping SIX quarterbacks selected in the first twelve picks, the Cleveland Browns might be in a position to add a player with their second-round pick at number fifty-four overall that could help immediately.

Andrew Berry is known for loving his trade downs, so this could make the pick even more valuable than usual and allow Berry to add an additional third-rounder or fourth-rounder.

The Browns lack a fourth-rounder and I would be surprised if Berry doesn't trade down from either the second-rounder or their third-rounder at eighty-five.

I would prefer to see the Browns add another weapon that could help DeShaun Watson with so many receivers that may have been first-rounders in other drafts and even though my guy Xavier Worthy left the board late in round one, there are plenty available, so one might be sitting for the Browns to grab.

I really like Oregon's Troy Franklin and Florida State's Keon Coleman most but I didn't mention Georgia's Ladd McConkey, who I didn't think would be available for Cleveland, who would be fine as well.

If it is equal among the three, I think I'd take Franklin.

If all of those three are gone and the Browns trade down slightly, Michigan's Roman Wilson, Western Kentucky's Malachi Corley, and North Carolina's Dez Walker would also be players that could be very helpful as well.

If the Browns decide to pass on the receiver, I think they are going to target the defensive line with LSU's Maason Smith, Ohio State's Michael Hall, and Michigan's Kris Jenkins each making sense.

Smith and Hall have the potential to provide pass rush up the middle, while Jenkins is more of your basic run-stuffer who has a lower floor but might be a ten-year NFL player.

While those are the deepest spots at positions of need, and I don't think he'll fall more than a few spots into the second round, I wouldn't complain a bit about the Browns finding a way to land Iowa corner Cooper DeJean, who would allow the team to perhaps allow Greg Newsome to leave after 2024 and would add both return skills and a bit of offensive gimmickry as well.

I'd love to add Clemson's Jeremiah Trotter Jr in the third round to help the linebacking speed but the Browns' attempt for linebackers other than Jeremiah Owosu-Koahmoah under Andrew Berry haven't been loaded with successes, so they might be reluctant to select a linebacker there.

I'll be back tonight with a few words on whomever the Browns draft along with a look at day three!

No comments: