Saturday, September 22, 2007

Buckeyes to kick off Big Ten play



The Ohio State Buckeyes start Big Ten play today vs Northwestern in Columbus.
The Buckeyes are heavy favorites to win vs the Wildcats and rightfully so.
After all,the Buckeyes are coming off an impressive win at Washington,while Northwestern fell at home to Duke.
Losses like that cant get much more humiliating than losing to a team that hadn't won in 23 games and at home no less.
In addition,Northwestern has not defeated the Bucks in Columbus since 1971.
To put that in perspective-I was three years old and an Ohio resident at that time.
So,for my pick-Ohio State 45 Northwestern 10.
Went way out on that limb,huh?

In High School action-the Ashland Arrows rallied to defeat the Wooster Generals in Ashland 31-20.
With 6:55 remaining in the contest,Wooster led 20-10 before 3 Arrow TD's overwhelmed the Generals.
Taylor Housewright tossed touchdowns on 20 and 44 yds and Logan Kerr (who caught the 44 yd TD) picked off a Wooster pass from 40 yards away and returned it for the clinching score.
Ashland improves to 4-1 overall and 2-0 in the Ohio Cardinal Conference.
The Arrows are one of three teams at 2-0 in the OCC and next week battles one of the others,as Ashland travels to Millersburg to take on the always tough West Holmes Knights.

Bullpen Notes

From what I have been able to gather-Ashland passer Taylor Housewright is being recruited by several MAC schools.
If I can find specific school information,I will post it here.

Watched the Friday fights off Telefutura last night and saw a cowardly move by Middleweight prospect Ricardo Cortes.
Cortes was battling tough journeyman Fernando Zuniga and was being dominated through 2 rounds and was even floored in the 2nd.
So Cortes began flopping to the floor with every borderline shot by Zuniga claiming low blows and his tactic worked.
Instead of losing the fight (in which he was well on his way to doing so),Cortes managed to get a DQ win over the more deserving Zuniga.


And yes,I know that Telefutura is an all-Spanish network and no,I do not speak Spanish.
But I have picked up all that I need to know-Spanish for Unanimous,Split,Majority and Draw!

Former NBA coach and Commentator Dick Versace will be running for US Congress as an Illinois Democrat in 2008.
That could be quite entertaining if you remember anything about the colorful Versace and his memorable hair style!

Finally, I know that the Northwestern helmet shown is not their current one.
When I use helmet graphics,I do not always use the current helmets,I use whatever I think looks nice at the time.

Back later with Pirates-Cubs and Ohio State-Northwestern.

Photo Credits
Helmets-The Helmet Project

No comments: