Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Broom sweeps out the deadwood in Pittsburgh and Indians nip Yankees.

Lots of stuff today,but we will lead with the Pittsburgh Pirates committing to start from scratch.
Manager Jim Tracy,director of baseball operations Jon Mercutio,director of player development Brian Graham and scouting director Ed Creech were all shown the door yesterday and the Pirates are certainly better for it.
The only surprise on the list was Graham ,who was thought to be safe due to his past association with GM Neal Huntington and that Bob Nutting seemed to think highly of him.
I am especially glad that Creech got the well-deserved axe,as I blame Creech and the Captain for the vast majority of the problems with this organization.
I cannot say that I will miss Jim Tracy either and his tenure was just as sad as the others.
It is nice to see poor performance ending in termination,not contract extension as in the former regime.
I know many are hoping for former Pirates Andy Van Slyke or Tony Pena to get the managing job and those were two names I mentioned a few months back in my Pirates GM series.
But I mentioned two names to Ryan as likely when Huntington was hired and I will stick by them.
I think the new Pirate manager will be either Joel Skinner (Cleveland 3rd base coach) or Torey Lovullo (AAA Buffalo manager).
Lets see if I am correct.

The Indians battled the heralded Yankee bullpen,the invasion of bugs off the Lake Erie shore and their own lack of offense in a 2-1 win in 11 innings.
Fausto Carmona pitched a brilliant nine innings with the exception of a hanging slider to Melky Cabrera that found up in the right field stands and deserved more than a no decision.
The Indians squandered numerous chances to score until finally tying the game in the 8th as Grady Sizemore walked,moved to second on Joba Chamberlain's wild pitch,moved to 3rd on a sacrifice bunt and then scored on another Chamberlain wild pitch.
The Indians finally took their first and only lead on Travis Hafner's game winning single in the 11th off Luis Vizcaino with the bases loaded and two out.
Gutsy game by Cleveland and now New York has to run the table to win the series.
Lefty Rafael Perez pitched the 10th and 11th in getting the victory.
Cleveland can clinch the series by winning tomorrow night in New York.
Jake Westbrook takes the mound for the Indians against Roger Clemens for the Yankees.

Ohio State tackles Purdue tonight in East Lafayette and as I have written before this game worries me.
Being on the road and with the spread offense that the Boilermakers bring to the table spells concern for the Bucks.
Here is my call-Ohio State survives a close one 24-20.

Bullpen Notes

I remember the bug problems that the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium had during baseball season,but I was not aware of any problems since the move to inner downtown away from Lake Erie to Jacobs Field.
That would have driven my nerves to their ending really fast!

The Ashland Arrows pounded the Orrville Red Riders 42-0 in Orrville behind 4 touchdown passes by Taylor Housewright.
The Arrows improve to 6-1 overall,4-0 in the OCC and keep the first place tie with Lexington.
The Minutemen blasted the Wooster Generals 58-3.

The New Jersey Devils return to action tonight vs the Florida Panthers.Coverage here tomorrow.

Nationals Farm Authority has their take on the 2007 Hagerstown Suns.
I agree with most of their thoughts,but not all.
I will take a crack on this on the next slow day.

Predictions on tonight's fights

WBC Jr.Lightweight title
Manny Pacquiao vs Marco Antonto Barrera
Pick Pacquiao Unanimous decision

WBC Interim Heavyweight Title
Samuel Peter vs Jameel McCline
Peter KO 4

Photo Credit
Hafner-Chris Chambers-Getty Images
Helmets-Helmet Project

No comments: