Monday, July 21, 2008

The cost of Independence


Recently,Battlin Bob sent me a link to a comment made on another blog that mentioned his blog in a negative light.
I was not aware of this blogs existence and the blogger himself never wrote about Bob or his blog,so it was not what was written that got me thinking about this topic.
Is being an independent blogger better than an affiliated blogger?
Being a house organ has its advantages.
Your access is much better to people that you want to talk to,I am sure you get many more interviews and your audience is much larger due to the amount of distribution your writing will get.
I mean,I would bet that the Hagerstown Suns get 15 hits for every one we get and the Pirates probably get 250 or more for every person that arrives here.
But are you getting to say what you want to say?
After reading the various MLB team sites,I would say that I doubt it.
The Suns site is not hard hitting,but their site is more of an informational page,not filled with columnists and opinion based items,but the MLB sites is filled with softballs and snow cones that are sugary to the point of sickness.
I understand that point of not wanting to criticize your own product,but swinging so far in the opposite direction sends fans that want true analysis and opinions scurrying to the independents for honest thoughts.
Not dreck like this on "New crop of talented young players break into the bigs" that features Yoslan Herrera????

Not that being an independent is all sunshine and lollipops either.
Interviews can be hard to get as teams frown on talking to non-traditional press,even when you are dealing with guys that would like to do them.
I mean,we have gotten some,Erik Arnesen did one for us last season and Cory Van Allen has agreed to do one in the off season,but we could have had so many more.
On occasion,we have gotten a post or a email that asks why we don't give the Suns a chance to rebut or discuss some of the issues that I have written about and to be honest,that is a fair question.
I suppose I would say that I have not tried because I figured the answer would be a quick and painless No and we would be back to square one.
They would not have to say yes and I understand that.
What would they gain by dealing with an independent blogger that reaches three digits in visitors on a good day?
The various organizations already has the "go team" crowd that gets upset with any criticism and wants nothing except that things are terrific in their pocket already.
Really,that type of fan needs to go to an official site-that suits them and their needs and I have no problem with that.

In the end,there are checks and balances to both sides of the issue.
Do you want access at the cost of your own opinion?
Do you want complete control at the cost of access?

Answer those and ones decision is pretty clear cut.
Until tomorrow and the pitchers duel you have been waiting for:JVB vs Hernandez!!

No comments: