Monday, December 15, 2008

Devils split two over the weekend



My apologies again for being away.
Extra work again-.

The New Jersey Devils won a emotionally draining game on Friday over the Rangers 8-5 and dropped a 4-2 decision to Buffalo on the following evening.
I wont get into the scoring details since the games are 2 and 3 days old,but of course we have plenty of Hell Raisers.

Hell Raisers

1) The win over the Rangers had to have drained the Devils after speeding to a 5-1 lead and watching the Rangers tied the game at 5 before a three goal combination knocked the Rangers out for the evening.
But the effort likely cost them the game the next night against the Sabres.....

2) Eight goals for the Devils?
And against Henrik Lundqvist?
These aren't the Devils of old.
Don't get me wrong,the commitment to defense is still there and it will take a long time for the reputation to go away,but watch a few games and the Devils play a much more open game than they will ever be given credit for....

3) A nod to Brian Gionta,who has revitalized his game recently.
Gionta has scored at least one point in every game except one in the last month....

4) And another nod to the Devils,when even I was rocked back on my heels after the Rangers tied the game at 5.
But 13 seconds later (and enough time for me to comment to Ryan about how devastating a loss this would be),Patrik Elias took the game back for the Red and Black and set things right in my world!

5) Petr Vrana cleared waivers and was assigned to Lowell.
Wish me luck with sigs and pictures for the Devils visit to Hershey on Saturday....

6) Scott Clemmensen picked the win up against the Rangers despite allowing five goals.
I thought Brent Sutter might go to Kevin Weekes against Buffalo.
I missed the third period since my job called me in early,so when I left the score was 2-2.
I thought Weekes played reasonably well and the first Buffalo goal was not his fault at all.....

7) Bobby Holik scored the first goal of his return to NJ in the Buffalo game.....

8) The Devils special teams played a huge part in the Ranger win as Jay Pandolfo and Johnny Oduya each tallied shorthanded goals.
If the Devils can pick up that part of their game-they are going to be awfully tough when Brodeur returns!!!

The Devils are on the road on Tuesday and Wednesday in Toronto and Buffalo.......

Hope to be back later with the Seahawks win in St.Louis and a few prayers for the Browns tonight in Philly!

Photo Credits
Celebration!-AP Photo
Elias:Jim McIssac-Getty Images

No comments: