Thursday, January 29, 2009

My new Super Bowl tradition and Maholm locked up for 3 years!

The Pittsburgh Pirates gambled on last years version of Paul Maholm being the performer that they can expect every year as they avoided their scheduled arbitration by signing the lefty to a three year contract with a team option for a fourth year.
No word on the financial terms until Maholm passes the nominal physical,so I will reserve my thoughts until the terms,but I can understand buying up the arbitration years even if Maholm flattens out a bit from his 2008.

A team like the Pirates needs to take chances and lock players up when warranted,so they don't have to go through the process of arbitration.
Many times,younger players will take the guaranteed money and sign what usually turns out to be a below market value deal by the time those years come to pass..
More on this when more details come in.

I know everyone has their own little traditions for Super Bowl Sunday and since I find Bill Bidwill and the Cardinals distasteful (Ok,just Bidwill and Kurt Warner) and the Steelers are worse,I have to find something to make the day more palatable.
So,yesterday,I dug through the massive video archives to come up with the Heimberger families new Super Sunday tradition,I will be watching the last Cleveland Brown
playoff victory from 1994 from the old Cleveland Stadium over the New England Patriots.
That will be the game that I watch every Super Sunday until the Browns can give me another playoff win to replace that one.
I figure maybe in another ten years or so,I have a chance!!!!

New record for unemployment this week as 4.78 million Americans are out of work.
I hope there is some job creation clauses in some of the stimulus packages that are being worked on!

The New Jersey Devils travel to Boston tonight to face the Bruins and Milan Luuuuuuuuuuuusiccc!
Coverage here tomorrow.

Until tomorrow!

No comments: