Thursday, November 24, 2011

Watching Winnipeg live! Devils win in shootout over Columbus

Quickly to start with,the Devils earned two points for their 2-1 shootout win Wednesday night over Columbus.
I was going to attempt to watch it when I arrived home from the Verizon Center,but in the classic good news bad news note-the Verizon Center's out of town scoreboard is constantly updated and visible,so I could not avoid it.
Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk each scored in the shootout to lead the win,while Dainius Zubrus scored the only regulation goal (7) for New Jersey.
I'll be discussing the game with the wonderful Rachel and if she has anything interesting to add,I'll do an update,if needed.
For more on the win-check out In Lou We Trust's coverage.

Another trip to the Verizon Center,thanks to my friend Fern,who graciously allowed me to take in a game this season for the second time.
Last year,I was able to see the Devils in Washington,but that was not in the cards,However eleven months to the day of my last trip- I was able to see the new Winnipeg Jets in their first return to Washington and I was all over that.
I have not been able to see my new team in the Western Conference play much this season,but I was still anxious to see them play.

This was a better trip than last seasons-the Metro was not as crowded,the Capital fans were better behaved than in my first trip (perhaps that is because I had no Jets items on,not by a lacking of effort though) and the weather was decent enough,albeit windy enough that I received a mild windburn.
Again,I did not eat,although I was tempted,but the food cutback with Thanksgiving on the horizon was mandatory for me and I still remember those awful cleanliness ratings for Verizon Center food.
I likely would have made an exception had Ben's Chili Bowl had a branch there like they do at Nationals Park.

Onto the game,where the Jets surprisingly hung in there against the high powered Capitals and earned a point despite losing in overtime 4-3.
The Jets scored two goals in the first period by Andrew Ladd (7) and Kyle Wellwood (7),both playing on the same line and Bryan Little tied the game in the third period with his fifth of the season.
I think I am going to like rooting for this team,there is some talent there,although the depth is lacking.
All three of the goal scorers are well under 30,yet have a fair amount of NHL experience and that did not even mention the best of all of them in Evander Kane,who is entering his third season and is barely 20!
Dustin Bfuglien ranks among the best offensive defensemen in the game,the injured Tobias Enstrom is an assist machine in the making and 20 year old Zach Bogosian looks to be a long term cornerstone on the blueline.
Ondrej Pavelec has been decent in goal,but at minimum will need some help in the nets.
That is most of the talent,so there will be a building process that will need to take place.
In short terms-I think I am really going to like rooting for this team.

Thanks again to Fern for allowing the evening to take place and thanks to Ryan for babysitting me.
I am not wild about large cities and he takes care of me as far as Washington goes,as he knows his way around far more than I.
Another great evening around the game and a night that cemented a new team as my rooting interest in the Western Conference!

Photo Credit-AP Photo

No comments: