Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reversal of fortune in 2-0 loss to Rangers

Almost three weeks ago,the New Jersey Devils were in the same place and against the same team and won a hard hitting defensive battle 1-0.
This time,they lost in virtually the same result,2-0 with the final goal into the empty net.
The defeat was the third in a row for the Devils,who's road will get no easier with their next game on Thursday in Boston.....

Hell Raisers

1) If you like hard hitting and defensive hockey and who doesn't (I see the hockey media cringing from here),this was the game for you.
27 shots combined between the teams,but 61 combined hits?
Each teams had a few chances and the Rangers took advantage of one.
I did not see a ton of difference in this one other than the Carl Hagelin goal....

2) You should know that I am a David Clarkson fan,but his total of 19 penalty minutes in the game showed a lack of discipline on his part.
Of a special note is Clarkson's leaving his feet for charging just so he could get a piece of Brandon Dubinsky..
I usually applaud such fire,but on this night,Clarkson was so revved up that he played out of control and hurt the team...

3) On the final goal of the game,I saw three things that concerned me from the newest Devil,who Rachel has already decided she didn't like before the game.
I could forgive Zidlicky's mishandle of the puck,which led to the final goal and I could maybe overlook his tripping penalty for trying to slow Carl Hagelin up,but what I really hated was Zidlicky's not busting his hump to try to catch the puck on the play...
Something that I will be watching....

4) Hagelin's the goal came on a shot that just found the right hole at the right time.
Martin Brodeur gave up the wrong side of the net and Mark Fayne stood in the opposite spot and things happen.
I sometimes think that I am too hard on Fayne,but for a player that is supposed to be solid,his play just frustrates me so...

5) So,that's three losses in a row.
Two of them to the best two teams in the game and each were down to the wire,one goal games.
What does this tell me?
Not just falling playoff position spots,the Devils would be better off finishing sixth and tackling one of the wimpy Southeast trio than a bruising series against either Philly or Pittsburgh,but the way these games were played.
These were the type of hand to hand combat that you see in playoff hockey and the Devils came up lacking in offense and often composure.
This is something else to keep an eye on as the playoffs approach....

Photo Credit-AP Photo

No comments: