Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Graphing Pet Peeves

One thing that I really hate about this hobby only touches the hobby in a roundabout way.
Every once in a while when a big star hits a town or city (Ours was during the Bryce Harper period),some uninformed media person decides an easy column to write  is about my hobby and how to act.
The problems are these-they don't know anything about the hobby or the people that do it,they always seem to ask someone that is either A) an idiot that knows nothing ,B) thinks they are going to get rich or C) See A and B.

Those always make me angry,but other collectors do as well.
Not because the guys get stuff signed that I don't/have things I don't etc,but because of the way they act doing it.
So these are my pet peeves and I reserve the right to edit later,if I miss one.

1) Keep your mouth shut until you know what you are doing!

I was lucky that I had a few people that helped me learn early on and taught me how to do this the right way.
Until you know what you are doing (at least a year,usually more),don't dazzle with your knowledge and skill.
This isn't about knowing the game,it's about knowing the hobby.
Step back and learn quietly.

2) Respect the line

If there is a line,get in it.
Don't pull an end around and dodge to the front,it may get some signatures for you,but it also gives you a bad reputation along with few people wanting anything to do with you.,..

3) Don't shove your item over others.

Now,in bigger markets like big league cities,this rule doesn't apply.
In those towns,it is eat or be eaten and you have to do what it takes to survive,but on the Low A,High A,AA circuit,it isn't needed and it usually ends in an argument or slugout.
I remember being hit three times in the head by a newbie before taking him behind the grandstand and educating him on how things are done on this circuit.
He was very understanding and learned,so there was no future problems,but I've seen others not work out so well.
What works in Baltimore isn't needed in Hagerstown.

4) Respect the Home Park.

Show respect to the home team.
Those are the guys that are there all the time and can make or break a good experience for the visiting grapher.
They know the setup,can be a huge help with players and where to be and often you can make a friend or two doing it.
That is exactly how I met Corey White and made a friend and graphing trader to this day in Tennessee.
Don't act like you have all the answers and listen and learn and visiting parks can be quite fun and productive.
There are few things that make me wince more at the Muni than when you see so and so from X that is way over the top....

5) Kids.

Don't get me wrong,kids are the lifeblood of the game and hobby,but there are a few things about kids that can be frustrating.

A) Guy that knows nothing,yet shoves his way to the front with a foam finger for a child that could care less and wouldn't know Lucas Giolito from Dora the Explorer,yet knocks people around or if he doesn't get to the front,makes loud complaints about graphers.
If your child cares and knows the game,by all means-get that graph,but a 2 year old would be just as happy with my name on a ball as Patrick Anderson's.

B) Guy who sticks his kids in front using the end around tactic,
I'm seeing way too much of the kids involved using the squeeze ahead or end around maneuver.
Wait your turn as in Peeve one and your child will be looked at as a polite child that you don't mind helping instead of the kid that burrows in and around.

C) Give my a kid a item because well,they are a kid..
"HEY,can my kid have a ball"?
Cannot stand those guys,can't give everyone a ball and gets angry if they don't get it.
Ugh.

6) People that think all graphers sell things.
Now look,I get some of these guys with massive premium items look like they sell stuff,but cards are almost worthless without authentication.
Yet in Bowie on Sunday when I had a whopping six cards to get signed,I had some dum dum ask me if I was a dealer.
Yep,I rode for 90 mins on the beltway,so I could get a Stetson Allie Bowman signed and sold to make the mortgage payment.
Moron.

7) And finally number one on the list-If you have 12 cards and I have two,Please let me go!
Most graphers will do this once they get to know you and see that you have some etiquette,but it is so frustrating to have two cards and wait behind some guy with 16 of the same card!
This never ends well as you either miss people as you wait or the player runs out of time.
This was the most controversial night of the year in Hagerstown as a grapher had Austin Meadows sign a massive amount of cards for him,time ran out,Meadows had to hit the bus and no one else got anything on this occasion.
The aftermath was not pretty and could have resulted in violence,believe it or not.

My personal low point was in Hagerstown for a 10;30 day game and I had 1 card for prospect A.J. Cole and waited behind one grapher with 3 pages of nine cards a page for Cole.
Cole signed them all and then "I gotta go" for my one card and the only other person there.
As this fellow began to droop away as the National Anthem started,I hollered "hold on" and after the anthem ended,I likely was not friendly as I explained etiquette in Hagerstown and offered him this deal-I'll give you my unsigned card for one of your 27 signed ones and this ends here,If not....
He handed it over.....

I'm surprised that I'm not done! Maybe more on another day!


No comments: