Sunday, June 28, 2015

Bradley defeats Vargas in chaotic ending

Timothy Bradley obtained the vacant WBO welterweight title with a unanimous decision win over Jessie Vargas despite a controversial ending in Carson Ca.

Bradley was far ahead on my card (I had Bradley winning the bout 116-111) when with well under a minute remaining,the light hitting Vargas (just nine KO"s on his career) landed and sent Bradley wobbling around the ring badly hurt.
Vargas moved in,landed a combination before Bradley grabbed on and held on for dear life.

Then the controversy started as referee Pat Russell heard the ten second mat pound and thought that it was the bell instead and ended the fight.
As Vargas climbed the turnbuckle in celebration like Beautiful Bobby Eaton.Russell clearly told officials that he had not stopped the fight,that he had though he heard the bell.
Points for honesty,but the decision cost Vargas eight to ten seconds that he could used to finish Bradley off and could force us to see a rematch.

The fight was better than I thought it would be going in as far as action goes,but I don't really need to see a rematch.
Bradley would have likely held on for those few seconds and Vargas and his lack of power would have likely not have overcome the resilient Bradley,who has skated through rougher waters against bigger bangers than Vargas.
However,considering the dearth of welterweight contenders in the Top Rank stable for Bradley and the title on the line was the WBO,who has more titlists with Top Rank than any other promoter,I'd wager we will get our rematch-no matter how little anyone wants it.
Bradley has always been a proud warrior,if a outgunned one,but when you are rocked that badly by a soft puncher,the line appears to be closer to the end than the beginning for Bradley.
I was on Twitter for much of the bout and I posted that I have the feeling that the end won't be good for Bradley-who has taken a lot of punches and when he finally gives way,it's going to be fast and spectacular.
If I was Bradley and the money was right,I might take the Vargas rematch and avoid any big punchers because he's ripe for the picking....

R.L.Malpica and I each had Bradley winning via unanimous decision,good for two points in the boxing challenge.
I hold an 81-80 lead in the challenge at the halfway point of the year.


No comments: