Sunday, February 28, 2016

Frampton shades Quigg by split decision

Editor's Note:I'm writing this ahead of time,but not posting in case any of you decides to watch the replay on Showtime and match up Ramon Malpica and I's live time podcast.
And if you did watch-you should have listened!

Northern Ireland's Carl Frampton kept his IBF Junior Featherweight title and added Scott Quigg's WBA belt with a split decision win in Quigg's hometown of Manchester England.
Frampton controlled the first part of the fight by dominating a reluctant Quigg with his jab and won most of the first half of the fight on my card.
Quigg rallied with a thumping body attack in the second half of the bout and had a one point lead entering the final round,but I thought Frampton won the final round with more punches thrown.
Frampton winning the final round gave him a 114-114 draw on my card and a 115-113 win on Ramon's.
The official cards saw two judges score for Frampton 116-112 with the dissenting judge going 115-113 for Quigg.
Frampton is now mandated to fight former champion/slickster/insomnia reliever Guillermo Rigondeaux by July by the WBA in what could be an interesting fight as Frampton's style of throwing lots of punches and forcing Rigondeaux to run might be the best strategy that one could try against the talented Cuban.

The internet seems more disappointed than Ramon and I with the bout.
I thought the bout was filled with action in rounds 7-12,but many seemed to be displeased.
Considering that a stadium was sold out for this bout,I'd think a rematch is likely down the road....

No comments: