Friday, April 28, 2017

Browns trade down and up-Draft Peppers and Njoku

The Cleveland Browns do what the Cleveland Browns do in the first round-pass over elite talent to make head scratching moves.

Cleveland traded the 12th overall pick to Houston,who would select DeShaun Watson of Clemson in return for the 25th pick and the Texans first rounder in 2018.
I like getting a one,but that's all?
Buffalo traded a higher pick (10 to 12) to Kansas City to drop 17 spots and got much more in return.

When 25 rolled around,the Browns had chances to select two hard hitting linebackers in Reuben Foster and T.J.Watt,pass rush Takkarist McKinley and corner Tre'Davious White and instead bought into the most overhyped and overrated player in the draft in Jabril Peppers of michigan.
I'll write about Peppers more in a few hours when I review day one in its entirety,but I'm not happy and whether you agree or not,I hope I'll make you think...

Cleveland then traded up with Green Bay to move to the 29th pick to nab the big and athletic David Njoku,a tight end from Miami.
Njoku is a great athlete and I love his tools and size,but he's a bit raw albeit with big upside.
My issue here is the price that the Browns paid (33 and 108) ,the first picks in the second and fourth rounds-picks that usually can fetch a nice return from teams that have hours to decide on players that slide further than expected.
This trade is more along being disappointed in the cost and not the player.
I'm at the road office,so I'll have a post looking back at all three players that the Browns picked as the morning goes on.

No comments: