Monday, July 15, 2024

56

     It's that time of year again to reflect on another victory over father time with the "Bulldog" of Ball Four fame, Jim Bouton, receiving the honors to represent 56.

It's been a different year since last July.

My work issues were settled in my favor but I've had a few changes in schedule since then, and while I really enjoy the new schedule as far as time off, I can't say I don't miss the solitude of the overnight shift.

I don't travel like I did previously because most of my autographing days are finished.

Baseball doesn't play on Mondays in the minors, and I work Fridays and Saturdays now, which makes me unavailable for those nights.

I miss the camaraderie of the group but I've found that I don't miss netting around the field, overly officious club employees right out of college, and I don't miss players that act more like businessmen than baseball players.

I still go on the occasional trip but they have to be planned even more now than in the past and when I do go, I find myself having more fun doing anything but going to the game!

My family has gone through a change or two but I'll save most of that for the road trip series that I am in the middle of writing.

I still have the love of my life happy and healthy, who always takes care of me and asks for next to nothing in return.

I'm blessed to have Cherie here with me and our crazy dog, Posey, brings so much joy to my life.

Rachel is doing her work with video editing and YouTube and is doing very well with her job.

Ryan lives in Omaha, Nebraska and while I miss him, I'm lucky enough to live in an age where I can talk to him for free anytime I wish.

Sometimes, I think we all wish for the simplicity of times past and there is much to be said for those days.

However, when you have family and friends around the country, the current technology allows almost the contact and everyday comfort of living a few miles away.

I couldn't be prouder of either of my kids, I worry as all parents do but I couldn't be prouder.

I still enjoy sports and writing about them but my time is limited compared to what it once was and it has affected the blog a little.

I worry like everyone else about the everyday things that affect us all and as we all age, our aches and pains that used to come and go now come more frequently and take longer to leave.

I worry about my weight and wonder how this got to this point yet I move around like a far smaller man and I feel fortunate for that.

I am a fortunate person with family and friends who care about me as I care for them.

Could things be better?

Of course but most of the things that could be better aren't life-changing, they just make life a little easier and a little more fun

Thanks to all of you and I wish I could name everyone but it's getting late and I really want to finish up.

When you think about it that way, life at 56 isn't so bad.

No comments: