Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Anderson-Quinn,Wedge axed and Bucs lose Sano

Hang in there,I plan on looking back at all three football games sometime tonight.
Things were a bit busy as I had meetings over the last two days at work,so I fell a bit behind on the blog.

A few quick notes....

The Browns will be starting Derek Anderson over Brady Quinn in this
weeks home game vs the Bengals.
I don't think that it matters much which quarterback starts with this team,but even though I don't like Quinn,I think both last weeks hook and this weeks benching does either the Browns or Quinn much good.
Quinn has major issues throwing the ball down the field,but they were the same issues that were there before Cleveland picked him,so the Browns need to see Quinn and what he brings to the table and decide if he is the future or yet another Cleveland bust.

The Indians fired Eric Wedge and his entire coaching staff effective at the conclusion of the season.
This move was long overdue and needed to have been addressed quite a while ago.
Wedge's often bizarre game decisions and his loyalty to unproductive players have been a handicap to the Tribe for years and the chance to add a fresh face to the picture would be a good thing.
However,I look for the Indians to hire either AAA manager Torey Lovullo or AA manager Mike Sarbaugh for the job and putting their abilities to the side,on the surface to the players-it could look like more of the same...

The one amateur player that Pirate fans heard about consistently this spring and summer was not Tony Sanchez or any other player that could be a Pirate.
It was all about 16 year old shortstop Miguel Angel Sano and his seeming to want to be a Pirate with the team considered the favorite to sign him.
However,a series of missteps and miscommunications between the team and agent Rob Plummer ended with Sano signing with Minnesota for a bonus over just over three million.
I am not going to say that I am thrilled with the bungling of this issue,but my bigger concern is how the Pirates will be portrayed in the Dominican.
Sano is 16 years old and who knows how things will progress for him,but the loss for the Pirates in the country could mean lesser talents in the Pirates academy there and fewer chances to sign top talent in the country.
I don't know if Miguel Sano will be a great player or not,but I do know this,for the first time on a major issue,I have grave differences with Neal Huntington and the Pirate front office.
Something worth following over the next year or so when you look at the Pirate Latin American signings.

DirectTv and Versus are going down to the wire in their contract dispute with the NHL season starting tomorrow night.
The first game is Boston vs Washington,so I would miss a game from my local team.
This whole thing is ridiculous on both sides and I still think this gets done soon,but the longer it goes,the worse things get for both sides....

Back later with the beginning of the football tape reviews...

Photo Credits
Anderson:Thomas Ondrey-Cleveland Plain Dealer
Sano-Pittsburgh Post Gazette

No comments: