Friday, September 18, 2009

On the Signing Front-Friends that help me out


On the signing front continues with a look at some of the things that friends have gotten signed for me that has yet to be mentioned here.

Thanks to my good friend Jason Christensen for his help over the course of the season.
Jason and his dad Frank sent me a Auburn Doubledays team set and most of them were signed!
This was a nice catch for me as the Toronto teams never visit here with their AA team visiting Bowie and Harrisburg,so most these I would have never gotten signed without their kindness and help.
The funniest things about the Auburn set was that two former Hagerstown Suns were in the set as 2008 Sun Jamie Lehman and 09 Sun David Slowak were both in the team cards.
Jason also looks out for me when he is on the road as he nabbed former Sun pitching coach Rich Gale on a trip to Syracuse.
I was able to add a few Phillies when Reading came to Binghamton,most notably one of our favorites in Dominic Brown on two cards and a few of the home team prospects as well in Ike Davis and hard throwing Bradley Holt.
I was able to have the Akron Aeros team set thanks to Jason-the biggest catch was Eastern League MVP and the top prospect in the Indian system in Carlos Santana,but others included Nick Weglarz,Perfect Game tosser Jeanmar Gomez,Beau Mills,Matt McBride and two of our favorites in Josh Tomlin and Neil Wagner.
Jason also gave me some stuff that I didn't have such as Pirates Charlie Morton and Brandon Moss along with former Buc Tom Gorzelanny among others.

Tom O'Brien helped me at Potomac with some of the visiting Wilmington Blue Rocks.
I never seem to get around to seeing Wilmington,but Tom helped me out with some of the Blue Rocks,particularly the biggest fan of Dave"superfan" Sloan in pitcher Danny Duffy.
Tom also was able to get a few Chris Marrero's signed that I had missed and Potomac pitcher Bradley Meyers on his Carolina League All-Star card.
Tom was a major help at Bowie this season and worked on getting me the Altoona Curve set this year.
I usually see the Curve in Harrisburg,but for various reasons,it didn't work out this year and thanks to Tom with notables such as Gorkys Hernandez,Daniel Moskos,Brian Friday and one of our favorites in Jared Hughes.

Mike Treadwell was a major help on his trip to the Appalachian League this season.Mike not only picked me up sets while there,he worked on them as well.
Mike was able to have three players from the Appy top prospect set sign their cards as Cardinal top pick Robert Stock and the Mariners Cesar Fuentes andGabriel Noriega were added.
I never would have gotten them without Mike and I am very appreciative.
Mike helped me with a large chunk of the Danville set,most notably Tyler Stovall along with Yankee first round selection the 6'10 Andrew Brackman.
Thanks again,Mike and I might available for that trip next year! Ha Ha!

Bill Cover filled in the last handful of cards from the Connecticut Defenders and that included uber prospect Madison Bumgarner.
Bill stuck around to get Madison (a one at a time,but does allow you to come back) to help me out and finish the Defenders.
Thanks for all your help,Bill!

Pol Heiney tossed me a Sid Bream,who I had missed twice over the last year and it is a really cool one with Bream wearing the yellow Pirate batting helmet.
Thanks,Pol!

And finally,a tip of the cap to someone that never wants his name mentioned,but I like to acknowledge his help anyway.
This person goes out of his way to help me with various needs and offers his knowledge and advice on this crazy hobby and asks far less of me than I do him.
Once again,he helped me in the last few weeks of the season and without tipping his name off,I just wanted to say thanks!

I still have a few more things out there and I'll write about them eventually.
Next stop on the signing front will be from the Augusta Greenjackets visit to Hagerstown....

No comments: