Thursday, December 24, 2009

Health Care thoughts


I like to think that I am well informed on politics and I try to keep an open mind on various issues.
I consider myself in the middle of the political spectrum and on some issues,I am to the left and others I am capable of agreeing with the far right.

All of that out of the way,this health care "reform" really has me boggled.
There is so much there to sift through that I feel like a guy digging through sand at the beach looking for a watch!
It is times like these that I wish the Bag of Health and Politics was still functioning,they had most of the facts at their disposal and it was their passion to get the information out.
Health care is not my passion by any means,although I certainly cannot deny either its importance or the need for reform.

From what I can see, I don't see much reform.
Unless you think handing big pharmaceutical companies a huge deal and millions of consumers that cannot afford health insurance over to the insurance companies reform.
Looking back at the 2008 campaign,we noted that one of the reasons that we preferred Barack Obama to Hillary Clinton was his position on mandating health care.
Obama was against a mandatory participation,Clinton was for it.
I am against telling people what they have to do in making decisions for themselves,so I oppose mandated anything that deals with how one deals with oneself.
But,before I go further,lets allow candidate Obama to talk about this issue in a way that is far clearer than my own.


Now,that makes sense.
This issue of health insurance comes down to three things-covering anyone that wants to be covered,having the option to participate or not and the fact that many would like it,but just cannot afford it.
The proposal on the table satisfies just one of those partitions,insurance companies can no longer turn you down for pre existing conditions and that is a good thing.
However,the deal was made with these monoliths that since they have to cover that,they will pick up millions of new customers that will have to purchase their product or pay fines.
No choice and people having to buy something they cannot afford.
Look at this way-you want a new car,you can afford payments on a car that is sold at 15,000 dollars.
Does the government force you to buy a $25,000 car?
You cannot afford the payments,but the government makes you buy a car you cannot afford.
What would be the result?
Debt.Default.Hardship.
That is what this plan brings to millions of Americans and from the so called "Liberal" President.
Not to mention the cost of the little that we are getting out of this!

I can see where there are some people that will be helped immensely by the plan and I am happy for them,but couldn't the same thing been accomplished without mandates?
Barack Obama ran on one thing and delivered another.
That makes him a typical politician,but didn't he run as being the new type of pol?

When you back down (you can call it lie or compromise,your choice) on your first major fight in legislating and go against your own words,doesn't that make you not a man of your word?
Sadly,I lean towards the right on this one.
I would be all for a government health care plan,but I really believe that on this issue all or nothing is the best swing.
The GOP is right on this one and Barack Obama is wrong for compromising his beliefs and words to save political face.
Harry Truman attempted to pass Medicare 20 years before Lyndon Johnson got it passed.
The good and right things sometimes take time for people to see and realize them.
Put the best plan on the table and try to pass it.
If it fails,you fought the good fight and history will remember you for being the President with the courage to start the inevitable ball rolling.
Instead,it will recall you as the typical pol who put his standing above what was right.

Photo Credit
Angry Smiley:Unknown

No comments: