Friday, February 11, 2011

Time to act is now for Frederick Baseball

I was going to discuss the Devils 2-1 win over Toronto in overtime,but this subject takes precedence.

Take the Frederick Keys rumors of losing the market to the Independent Atlantic League VERY seriously.
I didn't when I saw the Ballpark Digest note on the unprecedented bidding process for the lease to Harry Grove Stadium,I still didn't when I read the Frederick councils words on the affiliated team having an advantage in the bidding and even when I read the open letter to the fans from the Keys management,I still saw it as posturing and that a deal would be worked out.
Battlin' Bob wrote about this last night in his blog and I was hesitant to write about it because I was not sure this was a viable threat.
I have spent this morning digging around in various capacities both on and off line and trust me-this is not only possible,but from what I have deduced,the city of Frederick may very well shift from Affiliated baseball to Independent league play.

I have nothing against Indy ball and you will see some famous players come through as managers and coaches and some players playing that were former big leaguers as well.
However,you will not be seeing Matt Wieters,Bryce Harper and Eric Hosmer type prospects  in Independent baseball.
Would you rather see a developing Jason Heyward or a washed up Carl Everett?
Because that is the choice that the city of Frederick is about to make for YOU!

The Frederick Keys are not totally blameless in this for reasons that I cannot write about right now,but Atlantic League kingpin Peter Kirk is more than experienced in selling his product to cities,sponsors and whoever else that it takes to achieve his goals.
Keep in mind that I still hold Peter Kirk accountable for his moves that started with a thriving Hagerstown market that was good enough for AA baseball and then threw it in the dirt in order to make more money in Bowie,so please keep in mind that I am far from trusting in Peter Kirk's word.
The Keys are for sale and likely will not have the funds to match a possible large bid for the lease that may not only take affiliated baseball from Frederick,but also lead into a lame duck few months for the Carolina League as the bidding will take place in May.

The Atlantic League would gain an excellent market in Frederick,but one that already has teams in their radius in Waldorf MD,York and Lancaster PA and coming in 2012 Loudon VA,which to me smacks of overkill,but it isn't my money or business.
To many people,that enjoy baseball,a switch would not be a large deal.
After all,they still watch a game,take the kids,allow them to ride the carousel and grab a 8 dollar brew and to some,the league wouldn't matter much.
For the game,it would make a huge deal down the road.
I am a firm believer that fans in the minors become bigger Major League fans down the road when players they have seen,met and grabbed an autograph from become the stars that they see every night on television,particularly with Frederick being an Oriole affiliate.
You will get none of that with Independent baseball,which is fine in its niche',but is not a replacement for what Frederick fans have had since the arrival of the Keys.

So in that vein,I will do something for the first time on the blog-post emails and phone numbers for people to contact in Frederick to help the Carolina League and the Orioles stay in Frederick.
Contact these people and tell them that you need them to make the right decision and back the franchise that put the town on the map in the sport.

Take this seriously and not an unnecessary worry,this isn't just a ploy.
I recall the words of the Kinston Indians GM recently when their team left town which were roughly these-once word of a deal hits the media,it is usually a done deal.
I hope this isn't the case for Frederick and affiliated baseball......

I would have lost a lot of money taking the bet that Frederick would not have minor league baseball and Hagerstown would-Lets hope it doesn't come to that...

Mayor
Randy McClement      rmcclement@cityoffrederick.com 301-600-1380

Board of Aldermen
Shelley Aloi                saloi@cityoffrederick.com 301-600-1632
Carol Krimm               ckrimm@cityoffrederick.com 301-600-1863
Michael O’Connor      moconnor@cityoffrederick.com 301-600-1386
Kelly Russell               krussell@cityoffrederick.com 301-600-2966
Karen Young              kyoung@cityoffrederick.com 301-600-1382


If I have time,I'll be back later with Devils hockey...

No comments: