Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pirates debut Daniel Moskos and more

I have seen one inning of Pirate baseball over the last three days and by watching that,I did get to see the only run Pittsburgh scored in a 4-1 loss to Colorado yesterday.
Andrew McCutchen's homer (5) to the deepest part of Coors Field was a line drive bullet that was absolutely hammered.

I have missed Thursday's 5-2 loss to the Giants ( Draft stuff) and both games in Denver due to the late MST time start.
I will be able to see today's game,but I have committed to work six day weeks for the next three weeks,so I will not see the first two games in San Diego.
However,since those games start at 10:05,I'll be bringing the XM to work and covering the game from there.
I don't mind lugging the bulky BB for games that I will be able to listen to entirely,but it just isn't worth bringing it for a just an inning or two.

I pull for the Giants,when not playing the Bucs,but I was really hoping the Pirates would hammer Ryan Vogelsong on Thursday.
Of course as usually happens when less than stellar Pirate pitchers return to Pittsburgh,Vogelsong turned into a star as he not only won the game,he set an all time career high in strikeouts with eight.
This is not unfamiliar territory for the Pirates.

Jose Tabata injured his hamstring in the inning that I saw as well and his replacement was Matt Diaz not new arrival Xavier Paul.
Diaz doesn't hit righthanders well and normally isn't a left fielder,yet he got the call over Paul?
That one doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
Only word that I have heard about Tabata is that he may not play today.

The Pirates did offer Josh Rodriguez back to Cleveland for $25,000 and the Indians wrote the check,which returned the shortstop to their organization.
Rodriguez was assigned to AAA Columbus.

We thought something was wrong with Evan Meek and turns out we were right as Meek has been placed on the disabled list.
Meek is taking a week off to rest his shoulder tendinitis.
Sometimes,rest is all this type of injury needs and toughening out the issue usually just creates an ineffective player and an injury that never heals.

Meek's replacement was 2007 first round pick Daniel Moskos,who made his big league debut in the loss to the Rockies with a scoreless eighth inning.
We blasted the pick at the time,but note we didn't even mention the player that might turn out best of all the "coulda hads" with that pick-Atlanta's Jason Heyward.
Moskos has handled the press/bloggers with class and the handful of times that I met him seems like a great guy.
We wish Moskos nothing but the best in the big time....

I hope to be back later with a look at the Cleveland Browns day three draft haul,if not I'll try to do two posts tomorrow

Photo Credit-Peter Diana Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

No comments: