Friday, April 29, 2011

Jabaal Sheard and Greg Little-Browns in the second round

The Cleveland Browns addressed their two biggest needs in the second round with one selection that had a player available that I preferred and the other that saw Cleveland take the exact player that I was hoping for them to tab.

Defensive end  Jabaal Sheard of Pittsburgh is a pass rushing end that was the Big East's defensive player of the year last season.My opinions on the Big East is well known,but Sheard is the type of long armed,speedy end that the Browns GM Tom Heckert loves to draft.
Sheard became a Brown with the first of the two second rounders at number 37.
I still would have preferred Da'Quan Bowers of Clemson,but apparently the questions about Bowers' knees were a issue for the Browns,despite their public protestations about them not being a factor in their evaluations of Bowers.
If the Browns had Bowers down their board for those reasons,then I definitely agree that Sheard was the best defensive end available with this pick.
Sheard is just at 250 pounds,so I am sure that Cleveland will want him to bulk up in the weight room,but with 9.5 sacks last season,Sheard looks to be the pass rusher that the Browns so desperately needed.
With the additions of Sheard and Phil Taylor,the Browns have taken a huge step into solidifying the defensive line going into the new Dick Jauron led 4-3 system.....

I had written earlier today that I was hoping for one of two receivers with the Browns second of their two second round picks either Titus Young of Boise State or Torrey Smith of Maryland.
I really didn't think Young would last that long and he didn't going to the Lions at 44,but I thought there was a chance for Smith at 59.
Smith possesses the straight line speed that the Browns lack,but Baltimore nabbed Smith with the pick before the Browns.
However,the third player on my list that I didn't mention was still available in North Carolina's Greg Little and for a rare occasion,the team picked my guy and selected Little.
CHAPEL HILL, NC - OCTOBER 22:  Greg Little #8 of the North Carolina Tar Heels dives past Florida State Seminole defenders for a first quarter touchdown at Kenan Stadium on October 22, 2009 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)Little didn't play in 2010 as part of the North Carolina agent scandal,but physically,Little is almost right off the template for the perfect West Coast offense receiver.
6'3,a good leaper,excellent hands and a guy that has the kind of YAC (Yards after catch) that makes one drool.
Little also was a good enough athlete that he spent time for the Tar Heel hoops program,which isn't exactly Hofstra as far as basketball goes.

If Little is that great,why did he fall to round two?
The reports are that besides missing the season,Little can be a bit emotional and needs to mature a bit.
I'll take that chance in this spot and go as far to say that the Browns may have gotten the third best receiver in the draft,if Little lives up to his physical abilities.

All and all,I like the Sheard pick and I love the Little selection.
Cleveland will have six selections tomorrow-2 4's (theirs and Atlanta's) a 5,2 6's (theirs and Denver's) and a 7 near the final spot of the draft.
Just guessing,but I think the Browns will likely pick a player for each line,a quarterback to groom and then best player available,although I would love a linebacker-especially if Michigan State's Greg Jones is available....

Photo Credit
Sheard:Unknown
Little:Scott Halleran/Getty Images
 

No comments: