Saturday, January 25, 2014

Schneider stops Capitals 2-1

Cory Schneider was dazzling in goal with 30 saves in net as the New Jersey Devils topped the Washington Capitals 2-1 at the Rock.
Stephen Gionta scored in the first period (3) to give New Jersey the lead,while Adam Henrique scored the game winner (14 power play) in the second.
The Devils will be outside at Yankee Stadium Sunday against the Rangers at 12:30

Hell Raisers

1) Cory Schneider should be credited with the win.
I mean,he gets the win anyway,but his tremendous play was the difference in getting a win in a game that the Devils did not particularly look strong.
Very sharp outing by Schneider.

2) Adam Henrique not only scored the game winner,but finished with eight shots on goal.
Those are the numbers of a dominant offensive player,not an Adam Henrique.
Henrique has been trending up in his play,but that is a terrific game.

3) The Henrique goal was on the power play,but otherwise did little to impress me than on that penalty time.
Actually,the best work with the man advantage was not even on the goal,it was an earlier possession where the Devils stayed in the Washington end and bombarded Michael Neuvirth again and again.

4) The Devils promoted Joe Whitney to make his NHL debut for the game.
Whitney wasn't anything special,but the reward for his solid year at Albany was a nice gesture by the Devils for a career AHLer.

5) Ryane Clowe just missed an open net by a hair,but he looks more and more confident each time I see him.
Perhaps there is some hope to get some mileage out of his contract yet?!

6) First game for us in a week as we missed two games out west and the Blues game as I was snowed in at work.
I wished I could have written about that game,but as I have noted,I try not to post on games that I have not seen..

7) Onto Yankee Stadium and the Rangers on Sunday,
The Winter Classic series are always such fun to watch and I am anxious to see the Devils debut outdoors.

No comments: