Sunday, July 26, 2015

Another Krushing in the Boxing Challenge

I didn't have time to post my picks in the boxing challenge yesterday,but the dullest fight enabled me to take a two point lead in the boxing challenge over R.L Malpica.

We each earned two points for Sergey "the Krusher" Kovalev's three round destruction over top rated (by the IBF anyway) Najib Mohammedi to retain his WBA and IBF Light Heavyweight titles.
Kovalev sent Mohammedi to the floor in round two and finished him in round three.
I picked Kovalev to win in two rounds,Ramon liked him in four,so by winning in three,Kovalev split the difference.
Kovalev will fight in his native Russia in November against an unnamed opponent.
Reportedly,the fight will offered to former Russian Olympian ( and Kovalev amateur conqueror) Artur Beterbiev in what might be the toughest test for the Krusher,although promotional issues might make it a difficult bout to be made.
However,there is a chance despite those problems because being in Russia,both fighters could make a career high purse and solidify the winner's brand in their home country.
I'm a huge Kovalev fan,but something nags at me about him.
I have this funny feeling that he has a little Sonny Liston or Mike Tyson in him that when someone stands up to him,that he might have major problems.
Hope I'm wrong because he is a fun fighter to watch and I'd love to see a potential battle of wrecking balls against Beterbiev.

The undercard featured Jean Pascal,who lost to Kovalev last out in a good fight in a bout against unbeaten Cuban Yuneski Gonzalez in what was another exciting bout.
Problem was they picked the wrong winner as Pascal won a unanimous decision that earned R.L and I each two points,but was disappointing in the facts.
I had Gonzalez winning 97-93 and if there is any justice (boxing justice! HA!),Gonzalez would get the next shot vs Kovalev,if Beterbiev cannot be available as the next opponent.

On what could best be called a throwaway PBC card and worst a garbage card on NBC Sports Network,former WBA Lt.Heavyweight champ Beibut Shumenov won a unanimous decision over cruiserweight (and sometimes PBC commentator) B.J. Flores in a forgettable bout.
I agreed with all three judges that scored Shumenov a 116-112 winner.
I earned two points for a Shumenov unanimous win,while Ramon picked Flores and that made the difference in the boxing challenge as I currently hold a 96-94 lead.

Vacation has started so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for here.
I'll try to make time to keep things (and you) updated and I think I'll have the second part of our Jessica Rosales interview up tomorrow!!!

No comments: