Thursday, August 24, 2017

Talkin' Browns

Time for some notes on the Cleveland Browns with some thoughts and opinions after two weeks of preseason football.

I have to admit-I don't watch preseason football other than the Browns and I only watch one of the four games even close to how I watch a regular season Browns game-complete with multiple viewings and breaking down the game.
That game is the third game,which is the game that most resembles a regular season matchup and that is coming up Saturday night against Tampa Bay.
I'm not saying I'll have coverage because of all the boxing Saturday,but when NFL Network replays it-I'll be there...

The Browns look to be reasonably deep on the defensive line,even with the recent injury to Danny Shelton.
Still,I was mildly surprised when the Browns waived Desmond Bryant and added former Bengal Brandon Thompson in his place.
Hue Jackson knows Thompson,that part I get,but Bryant (when he was in the lineup) was able to generate a pass rush up the middle,which is something that isn't always easy to acquire.
Perhaps Bryant isn't 100 percent and maybe there is more to this story than I know,but on the surface-I'm dubious at best.

I'm not sure how I feel about DeShone Kizer seemingly being on his way to starting the opener in Pittsburgh.
I am in favor of Kizer receiving plenty of playing time and I would like to see him play against both good and bad teams,but I'm not sure opening him against the Steelers is a wonderful idea.
I do want to see him play a lot because I want to know entering next years draft,if the Browns need a quarterback or not,but seeing him in the lineup this soon seems to be setting yet another quarterback up to fail.
That said,it's not like the Browns have lots of options,so if they decide to toss Kizer in there,I won't cry too much,I'll just keep my fingers crossed that things work out as well as possible.

With rumors flying that the Browns may be shopping Brock Osweiler and Osweiler not playing in Saturday's game,the question becomes do the Browns enter a season with two second year quarterbacks (Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan) and a rookie (DeShone Kizer) or do you pass on possibly gaining another asset for Brock Osweiler and keep him around for experience at the position?
My take is this-if someone offers you a 4th rounder or higher,you take it.
That would mean you have added a 2 and 4 for a player that really didn't factor into your future or present.
Otherwise,I take Osweiler into the season and maybe even start him for a few games to break Kizer in right,not that way will result in lots of wins....

My opinion on the Browns that kneeled during the anthem?
I wish that they hadn't done it.
I prefer that players (or anyone else) would choose another way to show their feelings,but the country that we live allows these things like it or not,so I wouldn't do it,but my bigger issue for the team is this-Anything that causes a distraction for a perennial loser is not a good thing-football wise...

I'll be working on more over the next few days with the New York trip,cleaning of the inbox,boxing and more..

No comments: