Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Cleaning out the inbox

Time for a long overdue inbox cleaning and just in time to kick off 2018 in style!

We start with two different articles on Charles G "Lefty" Driesell, who deserves to be, yet isn't in the basketball hall of fame.
Driesell, who built my love of college basketball as a child during his years as the head coach at Maryland as one of the two coaches that made me a true fan of the college basketball game (the other was as a small child when my dad would take me to Ashland College games when the Eagles were coached by the late Bill Musselman) is the only coach to win 100 games at four different schools (Davidson, Maryland, James Madison and Georgia State) and revitalized all four programs.
The HOF is a joke without including Driesell.
SI. com writes of Driesell here and the Athletic discusses his case in this spot.

Eleven Warriors took a terrific look back at the Ohio State career of the recently injured Ryan Shazier of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Shazier was always one of my favorite Buckeyes and despite his playing for the Steelers, he remained one of my favorite players, so I was disappointed and saddened with his recent neck injury which at minimum is endangering his career and may be ending it.
Best wishes to one of my favorites for a full recovery in life, whether he continues to play football or not...

A month after the trade that sent Rachel's hero Adam Henrique away from the New Jersey Devils (Rachel has not watched a game since), it's still hard for Rachel to handle.
It's always hard to handle when the reason that you first enjoy a sport gets traded away, so I feel her for her.
I hope she turns it around soon because I miss watching the games with her and the Devils are playing well as the surprise of the early portion of the NHL season.
All about the Jersey writes about the legacy of Adam Henrique in New Jersey with the Devils.

SI.com writes about the "new " Sergey Kovalev who has supposedly made changes to his life outside the ring that included going to a monastery, drinking more water and changes after a near-death experience.
As both a long time boxing fan and a Kovalev fan, I'm still dubious because you hear this type of stuff in boxing all the time, but I do hope Kovalev has made these changes and can make them stick.
He's an excellent fighter and I'd like to see him keep his affairs in order in and out of the ring.

The Ringer writes of life after ESPN as they look at a few of the people that have taken different paths since being released in the great ESPN layoff in April 2017.
A few of the people spoken were baseball writer Jayson Stark, anchor Jaymee Sire and morning host Jay Crawford among others.
It's interesting to read about what so many of us look at as being a dream job is still in the end, just another employer,

We wrap up with 13th Dimension's selections for the top 13 MEGO action figures of the 1970's.
As a child of the 70's,I did have some of these of course.
I won't ruin the order of these for you, but for the record of their 13 best, I owned 9 of the 13.
To this day, it was a sign of a much simpler time that you had a company that had a contract with DC and Marvel with advertising that used BOTH companies characters in the same commercials!!!

Consider the inbox cleaned for now.
I hope to get around to a Browns season (bleech) in review sometime later this week,,

No comments: