Friday, August 10, 2018

Cleaning out the inbox-Non-Sports Edition

The Non-Sports Edition of the inbox sometimes is one of our least read versions.
We've also had a few that exploded in views, so it's hard to tell just what will hit and what will miss, but it gives me a chance to write about something other than sports, which is always a nice change of pace.

I wrote years ago about Floyd Lawton- Deadshot in the Suicide Squad and my favorite character, but I've never written about my second favorite Squad character, who is very close to Floyd, Count Vertigo.
I might write a Vertigo post over the off-season but for now, the blog Sequential Pictures has a deeper look at the Count and just why he's the "hero at heart" of the Squad.

You wouldn't select Sports Illustrated as the most likely landing spot for an oral history of the Karate Kid, but that's where that article landed and it's interesting to read if you are a mega-fan like me or just a casual fan.
Most of the stars and co-stars in the film were spoken with for the piece and I really enjoyed it.
I found the potential casting sheets to be very interesting and I also liked the discussion on how the Cobra Kai gang were kept away from Ralph Macchio even on the set to build the tension naturally to be used in the film.

I'm not really a Will Ferrell fan.
Honestly, I've found his supporting characters (Ashley Schaffer in Eastbound and Down and Chaz in Wedding Crashers) to be far funnier than movies that are based around his starring characters.
However, there is one exception-Step Brothers, which ranks very high in my all-time favorite comedies.
Farrell is funny in this, along with John C. Reilly, who I've always been a fan (I thought Walk Hard-the Dewey Cox story was hilarious, which I have found few that agree with me) of and have always thought that there is still comedy gold to be mined from "Dale and Brennan".
The Ringers writes an oral history of Step Brothers and again, whether a fan or not, it's interesting to read how these films come to be made.

The lovely Cherie sent the next two notes of interest to me for the inbox, the first of which is from Weather Nation and discusses just how a brief torrential downpour can result in a major flash flood as has happened twice in the last three years in Ellicott City, Maryland.
It gives plenty of charts and graphs, looks at just how an area can be so clogged in a small area and cause so much damage.
It also looks at just how deceiving the term "thousand-year storm" can be and just how often these events can occur.

Cherie's other link comes from Mother Nature Network and the loss of thirteen Bald Eagles recently in Maryland.
Apparently, the birds ate a raccoon that had been poisoned and then the drug Carbofuran was ingested by the Eagles.
Carbofuran is supposedly banned from the U.S since it is toxic to birds, yet it was here anyway.
Maryland natural resources claimed that this was the largest single eagle die-off in the last thirty years.

Frank Bruni of the New York Times talks to Maryland Governor Larry Hogan about whether the Republican Party belongs to the more traditional Republicans such as Hogan or to the Donald Trump influencers.
I'm pretty middle of the road politically, but I think Hogan has been the best governor that Maryland has had in years and he deserves re-election.

Still more to come soon!







No comments: