Thursday, March 12, 2009

Revitalized ?!


I have not missed very much in the last week,
The Devils grabbed a win over Calgary 3-2 after being shelled 7-3 by the lowly (but always tough against New Jersey) Islanders.
The Browns signed a few more New York Jets retreads.
The Pirates continue to slog their way through spring training.
That about covers it and kinda tells you why I didn't post much this week,other than trying to get the kinks out from my first practice in my attempt to return to the ranks of competitive football.
I know some of you out there are thinking this-"This guy is out of shape and 40 years old,what in the hell is he trying this for"!!!!
Well,I will be adding some of my thoughts to the blog as the pre-season practices and (if I make it that far) the season as it progresses.
It could be some interesting reading or just be boring as hell!

I also did some soul searching on the future of this blog.
With the second anniversary coming up in a few weeks,I wanted to see if I still had the passion for this.
Frankly,despite the small,hard core following that we seem to have in the Frederick/Hagerstown area,things aren't as far along as I would have liked.
We get our share of hits,but getting into search engines and links pages have been more of a struggle than I expected.

We also lose our share of readers because we cover different teams.
People come here looking for Pirates stuff in the winter and get treated to Devils coverage before browsing around and seeing what we do here.
I have been advised by other bloggers that I would have a better chance of succeeding if I stuck to one team and that is sound advice.
However,I do not want to abandon passions for say the Devils,Buckeyes and Browns just to get some extra readers for Pirate coverage.
That would be taking away from the fun of doing this and as I once told Battlin Bob "Do it until it isn't fun anymore",so I do not see that happening.

But my time has become a bit shorter to spend on the blog lately.
Between the beginning of planning for our new football venture,the dealing with a less than bright dog and a new regime at work,my time to come home and snap out a column sometimes has a small window of being open.
I know that I have been talking about a laptop for a year and when that day hits,this blog will really hit its stride,but until that day comes things may be occasionally erratic.
I will be continuing things and I feel stronger about things than ever,I just need to think format issues through and see how I want things to develop.

I will have a new poll up.
If anyone is out there reading,please take a second to vote.
I could use the input on what the regulars think and it could influence the decision making here..

I will be covering the Devils game against Phoenix in regular format and look for casual coverage of Maryland and Wake Forest in the ACC tournament,Ohio State in the Big Ten brackets and Xavier in the Atlantic Ten scramble later or tomorrow.

No comments: