Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Astros pound Pirates 6-2


Brad Lincoln's return to his hometown was an unsuccessful one as the Pirates were never in the contest in a 6-2 defeat to the Houston Astros.
Lincoln allowed five runs in five innings and suffered from two home runs in dropping to 1-3 on the season.
Game two of the series features Daniel McCutchen (1-3) for Pittsburgh against Houston's Brian Moehler (1-4) at 8:05.

Pirate Hooks

1) Nate Baker of the low A West Virginia Power tossed eight innings of no hit baseball against the Hagerstown Suns,but was removed due to the pitch limitations.
I see the Pirate point,especially with Baker having a past injury history,but it still seems a bit wrong to me.
Where was I? Oh,I stayed home.
Between the record setting heat and the Pirates on TV,I stayed home.
Good call.....

2) Brad Lincoln just seemed a off last night to me.
He had good enough stuff,but seemed to lack control and sometimes on special occasions like Lincoln had last night,the tendency is to overthrow and that makes a lot of sense when you watched the game.

3) Houston's Hunter Pence clobbered a Javier Lopez pitch onto "Tal's Hill" in deep center field.
I don't see a ton of Astro games,but that was the first time that I had seen one hit the hill on the fly.

4) I usually don't like the retractable roof/dome places,but I confess to liking Minute Maid Park.
Ryan is bothered by the old west feel for a team called the Astros and I see his point,but I still like the place and all its little quirks.

5) A Steve Pearce sighting.
Pearce will be out until at least August with Patella Tendonitis in his left knee.
Tough break for Pearce,who was just starting to establish himself this season.

Photo Credit-Pat Sullivan-AP Photo

No comments: