Thursday, January 13, 2011

Time to clean up

Finally have some time to write after a few days of a mixed bag of time killers.
I plan on trying to get a few things up and in the air today.

The Devils split their last two games since my last writings with a 6-3 win over Tampa (That's right-SIX) and a close 2-1 loss in Philadelphia to the Flyers.
Not a ton of other news from the Devils and since time has gone by,I'll skip on Hell Raisers for those games and maybe add a note or two to the next game review.
The Devils hit the Florida show on Friday and Saturday against the Lightning and Panthers.

The Pirates added reliever Jorge Julio to the system to a minor league deal.
Julio was at one time a closer,but now appears to be playing out the string....

Sorry to hear of the passing of Cookie Gilchrist at the age of 75.
Gilchrist was the best power back of the Buffalo Bills in the infancy of the AFL and also spent time with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL as well.
Gilchrist played linebacker in the CFL as he was a stalwart on both sides of the ball there.
Gilchrist was the first AFL rusher to rush for over 1000 yards in a season and his 243 yard game against the Jets in 1963 was the league standard for yards in one game.

Ryan sends me an interesting link on how to kill the BCS and doing it with the remote.
Simply put-Don't watch.
I suppose I am a middle of the roader with that as I watched Ohio State in the Sugar and Wisconsin in the Rose with Ryan.
I passed on the Orange and Fiesta as I knew they would be mismatches and only watched the end of the BCS title game at work.
This plan is an extreme long shot,but could be somewhat effective....

Big Don sends me a link to how the city of Kinston plans on dealing with the final season of baseball at Grainger Stadium this season.
This was a huge blow to Kinston and I was struck by one line in the article by David Hall of the local Kinston newspaper-"It came completely out of the blue ... but everyone I've talked to in baseball says the only way a deal like this happens is if nobody knows about it. The best way to kill a deal is to make it public."
Interesting stuff and something I will keep in mind.....

ESPN.com looks at the sad state of the Cleveland Indians here.
In many ways,the Indians are a sadder case than the Pirates to have fallen so quickly and being so dull to watch to boot.
The Tribe is a cautionary tale that as much as people like me want to send stars for prospects to rebuild,it doesnt always work.
Look at the Sabathia deal with Milwaukee,Matt LaPorta was supposed to be a cant miss and yet thus far he has.
Michael Brantley doesn't seem to be much different at the plate than he was when I saw him with the West Virginia Power and those were the main chips in the deal.

So far,all the SAL and Carolina league coaching staffs that will play in Hagerstown or Frederick have been announced (to my knowledge anyway) except for three.
The Greensboro Grasshoppers and Delmarva Shorebirds from the SAL and the Frederick Keys from the CL have not released staffs as of now.

No comments: