Friday, February 18, 2011

Erik Arnesen Interview-Part 2

Part two of our interview with Erik Arnesen starts today off.
I hope to be back with another post later...

TRS: Which is more difficult travel wise-the multiple airport stops in AAA or the log bus rides from the Eastern League?
EA: I've been on enough long bus rides now that I've gotten used to them. The early morning plane rides are tough, but it's nice to get to where you're going a lot faster than the bus.

TRS: Your walk ratio went up a good deal from AA to AAA?
Is this the difference in hitter IE-taking more pitches or are the umpires more rigid in their strike zones?

EA: It's probably a combination thereof. A large number of the walks I had in Triple A this year were with first base open and a guy in scoring position. I worked around hitters more than I had before in situations that called for it.

TRS: Have you been using the same pitches as before or have you been working on an addition to the arsenal?

EA: I'm still throwing a fastball, slider, and splitter; but I started throwing a split change this year. I started throwing it because Greg Booker ( the AAA pitching coach) recommended that I throw it along with my splitter because my splitter doesn't spin.


TRS: How did you get the news of your promotion,where did you meet up with the Chiefs and was it difficult getting there?


EA: I was called into the office with Randy Knorr and Randy Tomlin after a game in Harrisburg and told I was being sent up. I met the team in Scranton, so it was a pretty easy drive.

TRS: Any interesting road stories from the 2010 season?


EA: A lot of the teams in AAA play in bigger cities than at some of the lower levels. It's been fun traveling around the east coast heading from city to city.

Photo Credit:Ryan Heimberger

No comments: