Thursday, March 17, 2011

A few thoughts

Just a few thoughts in general on issues that make me think.

Note to President Obama-When you have the looming disaster in Japan,a major issue in Libya and the two countries with troops fighting still-I could care less who you like to win the NCAA Tournament.
I realize that you need something to relax and I know that you love the game,but it sends an awful message to people with loved ones around the world when the issues that plague us are going on and you seem to be kicking back and watching some hoops.
Nothing wrong with relaxing and filling out your brackets,but seeing you spend time with ESPN explaining your picks is a poor public relations move and a slap in the face to friends and relatives with people in danger.
This is an example of things that George "Now,watch this drive" Bush did that you should not be emulating.

I would take the Republican challengers for next season far more seriously if they spent more time pushing candidates for the office that didn't seem to pimping for publicity constantly.
Sarah Palin has established her lack of credentials already,Michele Bachmann has major problems with American history (how can you be expected to not repeat history,if you do not know it) and Donald Trump is simply a publicity hound with overrated business skills.
Although,I must admit this-if those three run (among others),the GOP debates will be must see TV...

The problem in Japan certainly makes one wonder about Nuclear Power.
The issue to me isn't the need for the energy or the safety of the running plants,it is the simple fact that we have yet to design a easy and safe way to dispose of the spent fuel,fuel rods and other waste products.
I have concerns over a product that takes 10,000 YEARS to be considered safe from radioactivity.

The news media is only now beginning to truly focus on the state of Japan.
I suppose that finally it and the Libyan issue are beginning to be marginally more important than Charlie Sheen and whoever these "Jersey Shore" people are....

Please keep the people in Japan in your thoughts or prayers (depending on your beliefs).
I have a good friend and his family there and he tells me that things are worse than are being reported here.

Devils hockey tonight and I may be back with a March Madness post....

No comments: