Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pirate Hooks

I continue to try to catch up on things even though work is just as crazy as ever.
However,it is rumored that this could be coming to an end in as few as 10 days,so even though the wallet will suffer,other things will prosper.

I have not been watching much Pirates baseball with interleague play and the workload increase,but I did catch some of last night's game against Boston.
Put the win aside,it was nice to hear fans at PNC Park chanting and cheering for the Pirates,although I heard some Red Sox fans there as well,but nothing like the Phillies series,where it often felt like a home game for Philadelphia.

Not sure if keeping Chase D'Arnaud around for more than a as needed cameo is good for his development,but bringing him up for a few games and actually playing him is not a bad idea.
I liked D'Arnaud's speed and hustle in beating out an infield single on a ball hit to shortstop.

I am all on board with the idea of giving Eric Fryer a shot for a while with Mike McHenry.
I do not consider Fryer a huge prospect,but considering the option of giving Fryer an occasional try or sticking with Dusty Brown,I  have no problem at all with the move.

Alex Presley will be promoted on Tuesday for what I hope is more than a cameo.
As recently as 2009,Presley looked like an organizational soldier to me,but suddenly turned into an OPS machine since  as he has dominated AA and AAA baseball after looking pretty average in his years at low and high A ball.
Presley deserves a chance to see what he can do under the top-there is nothing more that he can do at Indianapolis.


The Pirates have signed a handful of their draft picks,the highest pick being fourth round Texas high school pitcher Colten Brewer,but the player that intrigues me the most is Jordan Cooper,who the Pirates drafted in 2009 in round seventeen and tried again this season in round twenty three after two seasons with the Kentucky Wildcats.
I liked Cooper quite a bit two years ago and despite inconsistency in Lexington,he had some quality starts as well and showed some signs of possibly being a real steal in this slot.

I may be back later with some goodbyes for some people that have recently passed away.....

No comments: