Monday, June 6, 2011

Pirates to take Gerrit Cole?

Looks like the Pirates are going to go against my thoughts and the opinions of many fans and select UCLA righthander Gerrit Cole tonight with the first pick in the MLB draft.
I am still hoping for a change of heart and a selection of Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon,but it looks like Cole according to most sources.

Give the Pirates credit for one thing,this is not a financial issue as Cole and Rendon are both represented by Scott Boras and would likely be roughly the same cost either way,so this time it isn't about money or signability.
As most of you know,I am a "pitching guy",but as I have written in the past-I just have huge concerns about the workloads of elite college pitchers.
College coaches have to win to keep their job and in order to do that,they have to do what it takes and often at the cost of the players arm.
I am not saying that teams should never take a college arm as I would have taken both Stephen Strasburg and David Price in their draft years because they were clearly the top overall player in the draft.
I don't have Cole rated that highly,although he is a top talent despite a less than expected season at UCLA.

Rendon does have issues with his ankle and I understand that being an issue,but what I don't like hearing about are rumors (and just that rumors) about Pedro Alvarez being down on an Rendon pick because he wants to stay at third base.
First,unless a player is locked up for about ten years and is clearly invested in the franchise,I am not really interested in his input on the draft,let alone Pedro Alvarez's opinion,he of the lusty .208 average,next to no fielding range and on the DL to boot.

Gerrit Cole is a talented player and could very well be an impact player,so this is not a Bryan Bullington pick,Cole has top of the rotation stuff and a Cole/Jameson Taillon future could give Pittsburgh a powerhouse combo on the mound.
I just would have went a different way.....

No comments: