Friday, January 6, 2012

Visiting Kent State-a National Tragedy

As promised,the final stop of our day trip finally has the right time to be written about.

Cherie and I have wanted to stop by and see the memorial and site of the Kent State shootings of 1970 for years.
I cannot remember how many times that we had planned on trying to find the memorial on the way home from trips and put in on the back burner because we just wanted to get home after a long trip.
Perhaps the shorter excursion helped this year as after a trip to the terrific Hartville Market (Same exit,but 10 miles in the opposite direction,Cherie decided that she was up to finding Swensons and Kent State after I told her that I was fine doing it,but we would do both or neither as we would be going out of our way to find them.

After we ate at Swensons (detailed here),Cherie said that we did not have to stop as we were not sure on how to find the campus.
I had asked a Kent State student that worked at Swensons about how best to find the memorial and she gave a long, detailed and what seemed to be a hassle filled trek to us.
Considering a cold and windy day,I think that more than anything deterred the lovely Cherie.


Rachel was more interested in her milkshake to care either way.
I had attended KSU football games in the past,but Dix Stadium is not part of the campus or if it is,it is on a remote part of it,so I was not familiar with the surroundings.
As we attempted to retrace our route back to 1-76,fate stepped in as I either turned one road too soon or too late and before we knew it,we were alongside the campus and seeing signs for the memorial.
That clinched it for me,we were not going to be that close and skip it yet again.

As we entered campus,we noticed a dearth of parking and as we pulled into the Prentice Hall parking lot (More on what I found out about that later) I asked a campus parking officer,if he knew where we could park as we just wanted to see the memorial,would just be a few minutes,were from out of state (Our rental van had South Carolina plates) etc.
He responded that since I had asked him first,we could park right up front in the restricted area without any issues.
I was very glad that I asked,as when we were leaving,he was taking plate numbers and giving tickets!

As we walked from the parking lot towards the memorial I wondered what a handful of appeared to be mini light poles in four different spots in the parking lot.
What I found out later that these were the places that each of the four students that were killed had actually fallen.
Had I known this,I certainly would have gotten pictures and paid my respects.
I certainly want to see these closer in a future visit.

As we battled the wind in an uphill walk,the first thing that we saw was the marker from the Ohio Historical Society.
The OHS signs are always distinctive and easy to read with this sign covering the events on both sides of the sign.
The memorial was to the right of the turn and simply stated May 4 1970 Memorial.I was mildly surprised that the students were not named,but as we moved further (On the right hand side,the trees near the pictured student) there is a plaque with the names of the casualties and injured.
That is pictured at the top of the post.
I would have thought that the plaque would have been more prominently displayed,but the location is actually a peaceful and tranquil one and a fitting one,I think.

We stood for a bit and then moved along a few of the markers on a walking trail created for visitors,but between the cold and the promise to stay just a short while,we wanted to keep moving,but we did see the marker from the National Register of Historic Places that was added in 2010 on the side of Taylor Hall,which will be the future home of the May 4th visitors center,which I am sure will be a wonderful addition to such a poignant scene.

Cherie and I both agreed that we would like a return again,albeit on a warmer day to take more advantage of the surroundings and hopefully,that will happen soon.

No matter your opinions on the incident (mine may be noted in a future piece,but this is about the memorial),Kent State was a turning point for our country.
I am not sure that things were ever the same again in how we looked at ourselves as a country and it certainly was part of the last issue that truly divided this country from within.
Certainly the Tea Party and Occupy movements pale in comparison to the anti-Vietnam protesters in both voice and importance.

The one thing that I took away was the importance of dialogue.
That seemed to be in short supply in those times.
From President Richard Nixon and his staff,to the Governor of Ohio (James Rhodes),the Ohio National Guard and yes,the protesters,it seemed like no one wanted to sincerely listen and talk with respect to others opinions.
Talking and listening are important in these times as well as then and I wish that we could do more of that both nationally and internationally.
There certainly is a time to fight,but there is always time to talk,reason and discuss.
Last I heard,no person ever was killed by talking.

If you have the opportunity to be near Kent State,stop by and take a look.
I am sure that you will be affected by the scene and at the very least,make you ,as the memorial simply is inscribed,Inquire..Learn.. Reflect.

Photos by Cherie Heimberger

No comments: