Friday, May 3, 2013

Nicole Mitchell Interview-Part 1

We start our recent interview with former Weather Channel meteorologist Nicole Mitchell.
Ms.Mitchell was a standout at TWC and is currently involved with the Air Force Reserves as a member of the elite group known as the "Hurricane Hunters".
Major Mitchell is also involved with a suit against TWC that alleges that her contract not being renewed was due to her involvement with the military that currently is still in the courts.
There are a few questions that she was unable to comment on due to the impending case and I have asked her to return in the future when she can talk more freely after the case reaches its conclusion.
Thanks to her to taking the time to talk with us.

Nicole decided to answer our first few questions with a paragraph that answered all four at once.
In order to have the interview exactly as it was done,I have entered it in that manner.

ThoughtsofRS; Tell me what made you want to get into the field of studying weather,was it an instant love as a child and if so,when did you know?
TRS: You grew up in in the upper Midwest was the importance of weather there to farmers and the everyday routine a help in making you decide to get into the weather field?
TRS: At what age did you know that you wanted to pursue a career in the weather field and if there was a change in direction,what did you originally want to do?
TRS: When you joined the Air National Guard to help with college at the Minnesota,did you then think your future was in the weather field or television/radio since you majored in speech communications?

Nicole Mitchell: It was actually the military that got me into weather. I scored well on the military entrance test (ASVAB), which qualified me for weather which required higher test scores. Of the jobs the recruiter offered me, weather sounded the most interesting. I loved science and the outdoors, so it seemed like it would be a good fit.
After college I started at my first TV station as an Assignment Editor and fill-in producer and reporter and got to be friends with the Chief Meteorologist where I worked. I hadn’t planned to do weather in TV, but he trained me as a fill-in meteorologist and I enjoyed it.
TRS:  Do you consider yourself a proud alum of the University of Minnesota or was it more or less a place to get your degree?

NM: I’m very proud to be from MN, and I think the state has a great public education system, including the University of MN.

TRS: Being a member of the reserves and the Hurricane Hunters currently,was this a goal of yours to reach this level with the Hunters or was there another part of the military that you were interested in?

NM: I thought it was an incredible job, but I had never really thought about it as I was in the Guard system and lived nowhere near Mississippi. As I moved with my TV jobs and ended up farther South, I was going to have to commute to stay in the military. Once I knew I would have to commute anyway, the Hurricane Hunters because my first choice.

TRS: What would you recommend most about the activities that you do in the Air Force to anyone interested in the field?

NM: My favorite part is being right inside the weather, and knowing that what we do saves lives along the coast.

TRS: You have risen through the ranks to become a Captain (Editors Note: Since this interview was conducted,a promotion to Major has occurred),have you found the military to what you had hoped it to be and would you recommend it to other young women?

NM: The military is definitely still male dominated, so I would love to see more qualified women! With that said, the military isn’t for everyone, so you have to know what you’re getting into.

Watch for more on the Hurricane Hunters and her career at TWC in future editions of our interview with Nicole Mitchell....

I may be back today with either a signing front or one of our planned features....

No comments: