Monday, July 15, 2013

Stars on 45

The title refers to a cheesy song from back when I was in high school, but I turned 45 today.

It's a bit of a downer, but not for the reasons that one might think.
Age doesn't bother me. Never has, but this birthday is a sobering one.
Teddy's not around for the first time in 13 years.
Teddy celebrated birthday 32 with me and the next 12 to boot.
It hasn't even been a week yet and he is missed terribly.
But life rolls on and Ed is taking up the slack as the only dog in the house.
Ed has his moments, but he is a true sweetheart. Unless you intend on coming into my house uninvited-then look out...

I wrote some things last year that I reflected on today.
Most of those things are still a work in progress.
But as my friend Krista told me recently "Sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone" and I've tried to do that.
Opening yourself to good things means the converse can happen too.
I have seen some self-improvement over the last year and some things that still need to be dealt with.
I'm still ill at ease with some things, but I think I'm getting better.

I have spent more time with my parents and grandmother over the past year and that's a good thing.
Are things terrific? No, but they are pretty good and that's all I can ask for.
I mentioned attending events in last year's post and I have not had to do any, not that I am disappointed in any way, just that it has not come up.

I've disappointed many from day one, but I wanted to set my own path and that has been successful in some ways and I have fallen painfully short in others.
When I was 10,12,14, I was sure I would be working in television or radio, what I do is far from that, but it has its good parts and I generally feel pretty good about it.

Now for a few thank yous.
Thanks as always to the ladies that take care of me with Cherie and Rachel.
It's been interesting being the only man in the house, but I've enjoyed it so much.
Thanks to both of you for all you do.
Thanks to my favorite son, Ryan. Ryan is not just my favorite because he's my only son, he's my best friend too.
You see, Ryan grew up with me and then surpassed me.
Ryan may not need me anymore, but I still need him, thanks Ryan for being there when you are needed.

Thanks to my buddies, Battlin'Bob, Corey, and Tennessee Ernie again.
Sometimes we see each other often, others not so much, but you are always thought of...
Brandon in Japan is someone I can always count on when the chips are down.
Thanks to all of you for being there for me.

Thanks to my graphing pals.
Derreck Chupak has become a bigger part of my life than I would have thought possible.
A year ago, he wasn't even mentioned, now I spend more time with him than anyone.
As we joke, we have lived almost parallel lives and Derreck might be the closest person to me in thought process on the planet.
Derreck, you've been a great help to me this year, I'm proud to say you are a great friend and not just because we play dueling pianos!

Mike Oravec and Bill Cover continue to be good friends in graphing as well as outside the game.
I've managed to get to know Brad Adams better over the last year as well as the master of the team set Kendall Morris and both have been a blast on the road and at the Muni.
Now, Brad-try not to destroy the man with the hat that is three sizes too small,.huh?
If you do, make sure I'm there to see it live!

Last year, I wrote life was pretty good, it still is.
Sometimes you just need to appreciate the things around you and let the negatives roll away.
I'm not quite to that point yet, but I'm working on it.
Maybe I'll arrive there at 46, maybe not, but either way- the journey is half the adventure...


No comments: