Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A day with Big Don,my favorite Key and a night at the Grove

Before I begin,please allow me a moment to say thanks to all of you that spoke,wrote etc to me about yesterday's column.
I still think yesterday's City Council meeting was a lame effort to say "we tried" when the Suns leave Hagerstown,but at least that was something.
I'll be writing more about that meeting and anything that we can do on Thursday night from the road office.

Yesterday, I spent the day getting groceries and then going to Frederick for the Keys against the Winston-Salem Dash for my first game all season to stay and watch.
Allow me to enlighten you on something-I don't get to see many games from start to finish in Frederick.
My working restrictions and Derreck's often add up to an inning or two and then home.
I get to see more games in Harrisburg than I ever do in Frederick and that's a shame because I really like the way the Keys do things.

But,first my buddy and this blog's biggest fan was in Frederick and I had to spend the evening watching a game with him.
The lovely Cherie was in tow as she thinks the world of Big Don and it is always a great evening when she gets to watch a game with me.
I only had a few cards with me,so my graphing was limited as I had done most of my Winston-Salem the night before.
I spent most of my time helping Big Don before the game started and during the game,we swapped stories on baseball,various places that we both visited and off the field issues.
Great time with Big Don with the highlight being his impersonation of a drunken Dean Martin after hearing a story on local grapher "Dean Martin".

I also was able to see my favorite Keys employee,Bridget,who talked to me a bit during the game and made me the "tweet your seat" winner complete with cardboard crown,free seasoning and most of all-ten bucks off at Buffalo Wild Wings,which is my favorite local chain to eat at.
At least,until Quaker Steak and Lube would ever arrive here!
Thanks to Bridget for the goodies and for being nice to me this season!

The Frederick Keys just do a lot of things right in game presentation.
They don't hit you over the head with gimmicks between EVERY inning and their in-game "host" is not obnoxious and over the top either.
They do play games on the field and music,but it is done as a compliment to the baseball product-not drowning it out in favor of drivel.
I suppose that I should say this-You can ignore things at Frederick that you cannot at Hagerstown.
If you do not want to pay attention to games,music,etc,it is not loud enough to bother you.
If you enjoy it,you can watch.
The baseball experience truly is for everyone at Harry Grove Stadium,not just for people that want to run around with the microphone.
I remember the horrific days at the Muni when "Reed" ran around and thought it was "hey,kids lets put on a show" more than a baseball game.
Gosh,that was so bad that I get chills remembering it!

The Keys also make a great Red slushee too.
Not really Cherry or Strawberry,it was very good!
Even Cherie,who generally hates Cherry items liked this because it tasted more like a blend of different flavors than cherry.
Give it a try,if you hit Frederick before the season ends.

After a short postgame visit with the Keys and finally landing the elusive Zane Chavez,we said goodbye to Big Don,drove home and began to work on my aging and ailing PC (Got it working!).
A fun day and thanks to the lovely Cherie,our biggest fan Big Don and my favorite Key Bridget.
Great day for me,at least!

Back tomorrow with more from the road!



No comments: