Wednesday, October 2, 2013

On the Signing Front

We return to the front as I knock some additional cards off the stack to be put away for the season.

The Rome Braves visited beautiful Municipal Stadium and were a solid signing team.
Rome had two first rounders on their pitching staffs from the 2012 and 2013 drafts and both were nice.
Lucas Sims had lots of cards from the minors and various USA baseball sets,while Jason Hirsh did not have any cards,but did sign the Rome logo cards from the team set.
Other nice additions were Tyler Tewell on his cards including a Bowman along with Jose Peraza on similar cards and Bowman and Carlos Franco..
My buddy Derreck Chupak tossed me a card of former Cubs outfielder Doug Dascenzo,who was with Rome as a roving instructor...

Next stop was Frederick for the Carolina Mudcats and the prospects of the Cleveland Indians.
The main target was the top prospect in the Cleveland system in shortstop Francisco Lindor,who I didn't get in the Mudcats first visit to Frederick.
Derreck figured we had to get the first game of the series in if we wanted Lindor as he was playing in the Futures Game in New York.
That was fortunate that we got that finished as Lindor not only left after game one,he was promoted to AA Akron during his New York visit,so he never did get back to Frederick.
Lindor signed his Top 100 Prospect card for me.
The notable Mudcats were former Indians first rounder Tyler Naquin on his USA and team cards,Tony Wolters on the same and Jordan Smith,who was difficult,but Tyler Chupak helped me with him.
I really hated the Carolina team set,which was a glossy,horizontal set that was not exactly appealing to the eye or the grapher.

Harrisburg hosted the New Britain Rock Cats and perhaps the top power hitting prospect in the minors in Miguel Sano.
Sano ignored Tyler and I during pre-game,but did sign his top 100 card for me afterward and was nice enough.
Sano signs just one and looks at you carefully and if he notices someone "double dipping",he ends the session,but I thought he was OK. 
The Rock Cats had another player in the top 100 set in Eddie Rosario,who ignored pregame and postgame made graphers power walk with him to the bus.
That might sound like the fat guy is bitching about exercise,but its more about how he went about it.
I tried to catch up with him and with Derreck shouting "get him,.Shawn!",I was able to get the card signed just as Rosario stepped on the bus.
A lot of work,but that's part of the game,I suppose.
Powerhitting catcher Josmil Pinto was another cool addition as was D.J. Baxendale on his USA card and hulking Dakota Watts on his Bowman.
Former Angel Stu Cliburn is the pitching coach for New Britain and he signed three cards.

My friend Patrick O'Connor hit the Williamsport Crosscutters in Aberdeen against the Ironbirds and helped me with a few things.
Williamsport outfielder Dylan Cozens signed a Bowman and Donruss Elite,Zach Green signed an Elite and Andrew Pullin signed a Bowman as did the Ironbrids Manny Hernandez.
Thanks to Patrick for his help!

The Salem Red Sox (who would win the Carolina League title) were the first team to make their final visit to Frederick.
I was able to get a few stragglers from the team set that I missed in the first visit and some USA cards as well.
The biggest catch was hard throwing Henry Owens,who signed his USA,Carolina League top prospect and Carolina League All-Star cards.
Blake Swihart signed the same three and Devin Marrero signed the Carolina League Prospect card along with his Topps pro debut.

Next up was two days with the Akron Aeros.
The first was in Harrisburg and Francisco Lindor again.
Lindor was in a good mood on this day and signed two cards for me-his Carolina League All Star card and Topps Minors Heritage.Tyler also nabbed me his Midwest League Top Prospect,so I had a good day with the young shortstop.
Akron was not loaded with prospects,but I did get Ronny Rodriguez on his Bowman Chrome and Akron team card and Jose Ramirez (now with the Indians) on his Topps Debut and Akron card.
Tyler also filled in some Harrisburg Senators as well,mostly players that had been promoted from Potomac and needed those cards signed.
Robbie Ray signed his Potomac,Carolina Prospect and Carolina All-Star cards as did Jason Martinson.
Nate Karns signed his debut as did the elusive Brian Goodwin,who has been a struggle for graphers all season.
All of the Goodwins that I got this year were obtained by Tyler!
The real winner was Jose Lozada on his Harrisburg set card.
Lozada,a 28 year old utility infielder backing up in AA that hits around.200,signs one card at a time.

Derreck and I returned for more Aeros in Bowie the next day as it was Jim Johnson bobblehead day in Bowie.
If interested,my bobble is currently on EBAY,I'll even sign it for you if you wish!
I struck out on Lindor as the Bowie bunch swarmed him,but I did fill in a few that I missed.
Brett Brach had started the day in Harrisburg,so I needed him on two cards as well as Bryce Stowell and Trey Haley on the same two.
I also added Jesus Aguilar and Tyler Holt,who I needed on their Akron cards.

That catches us up for now.
I'll be back down the road when I buy more sheets and a new binder to put those cards in.
Lord knows that I have plenty of them to put away!

No comments: