Sunday, October 5, 2014

Giants belt their way to 2-0 series lead

Brandon Belt crushed a Tanner Roark pitch into the upper deck at Nationals Park in the top of the 18th inning to give the San Francisco Giants a
2-1 win over the Washington Nationals and lifted the Giants to a 2-0 series in the NLDS.
Yusmeiro Petit was the winning pitcher with Hunter Strickland nailing the game down with the save.
The Giants return to San Francisco on Monday to attempt to clinch the series in game three with Madison Bumgarner on the hill against Doug Fister for Washington....

Giant Steps

1) Washington fans and media are slaughtering Matt Williams for taking Jordan Zimmermann out with two outs in the ninth after walking Joe Panik.
I would have stuck with Zimmermann,I think,but Buster Posey was the batter and I can see wanting the fresh guy (Drew Storen in this case),but Zimmermann had dominated the game and I think I might have stayed there for one more batter.

2) This game lasted so long that I finished the game at work,but since that happened, I watched the Nationals post game show,which I NEVER would have done if I was at home.
The whining about this game from a bunch that had one close call in the game that went their way about umpiring was ridiculous.
Ray Knight mentioned umpiring as a reason for the loss when he wasn't pummeling Matt Williams like Larry Holmes against Marvis Frazier,but the worst was F.P.Santangelo,who actually blamed the umpires for the loss because "they didn't give Jordan Zimmermann any calls when he walked a ROOKIE in Joe Panik".
Santangelo must have complained for well over a minute on this.
That's a ridiculous premise to begin with as the umpiring was just fine earlier in the game.
F.P used to be on the Giants pregame crew before moving to Washington and he used to do the same thing in the Bay Area.
Just a ridiculous statement.

3) What a fun game to watch if you like pitching duels.
Aging veteran Tim Hudson against in his prime Jordan Zimmermann.
Both guys were sharp and sharp enough that they rarely had to work their way out of jams.
Zimmermann really didn't have any and Hudson worked his way out of the one inning that the Nationals did score that could have been far worse,but was smooth otherwise.
I like pitchers and tight scoring games that every at bat matters much more than a 11-10 slugfest,although those are fun too.
However,give me a tough low scoring game every time..

4) The one close play at the plate went Washington's way and I still hear grumbling from Washington fans.
I spent the whole game on Twitter and nothing but grumbling.
I thought Buster Posey was safe at the plate,but I'll concede that the play was razor close and was the type of call that was going to stick with the result called on the field.
It was that close and I didn't have an issue with it not being overturned.

5) I thought Brandon Belt was the Giants best chance of an extra base hit later in the game due to the lefty vs righty matchups coming,but I didn't expect an upper deck homer for sure.
Tanner Roark made one mistake and Belt was ready.
Brandon struggled with injuries this season,but a healthy Brandon Belt has the potential to be an All-Star level player.

6) Yusmeiro Petit deserved this win with six scoreless innings in relief in the most pressure packed situation-postseason on the road..
Think about the rules for a "Quality Start" six innings and less than three runs.
So the Giants received TWO quality starts in the same game.

7) Longest game ever in the postseason-six hours and twenty three minutes.
That ran from four and a half hours at home,the drive to work and then another ninety minutes of so at the road office.
I tweeted during the game-If I invest this kind of time in a game for a loss-I'm going to be ticked!!

8) Asdrubal Cabrera ejected and Matt Williams too?
Cabrera deserved to go as soon as he slammed the helmet to the ground.
You aren't going to show an umpire up like that and stay in the game.
Williams didn't seem to be too out of control,so I'll reserve judgement on his case...

9) Matt Williams denied this,but the single pitch that may have made his decision to pull Jordan Zimmermann was not ball four to Joe Panik.
It very well may have been the long fly ball by Panik that just missed smacking the foul pole.
Panik pulling that ball may have triggered that thought.

10) I'm not crowing yet.
I remember the 2012 Giants being down 2-0 to the Reds and grabbed three in a row to win the series.
This series is not over and until the Giants win another game,no screaming from me....

No comments: