Friday, August 7, 2015

Bouncing around in Binghamton

Look for more soon and actually I wanted to do more today,but it was time for the long awaited Windows 10 update and that took a few hours.
I still have plenty to catch up on up,but I figured that I would start with the first fun part of my vacation as Mike Oravec and I traveled up I-81 to see my friend Jason Christensen and a initial visit to the Binghamton Mets stadium.

It's a easy drive from the Hub City,straight up I-81,one turn off an exit and you arrive at the stadium,so it is incredibly easy to find.
Mike and I cruised up and ate at an interesting place called the Spot Diner,not too far from the stadium.
The Spot is a very roomy restaurant that specializes in desserts-as in many of them!
Mike had a dessert that I am having trouble remembering the name of,while I deferred.
Believe it or not,I'm not a massive dessert person,but I did (almost!) order one for a change.
My order was a Reuben on wheat with a side of fries and it was quite good.
I am trying (small steps) to eat better with small adjustments and one is trying to eat whole wheat bread.
I've cut as much white bread out as I can,despite having to develop a taste for wheat,but there is no way that I can enjoy a sandwich on rye,which is the traditional manner in which a Reuben is served.
I give the Spot a high grade and a trip to Binghamton (which is in future doubt) wouldn't be the same without it....

When we arrived at the stadium,the lot was a decent sized walk to the left field gate.
Jason was sitting outside and greeted us with a hello and a swapping of various items for the rest of the season.
Rumors have been floating around Binghamton much like Hagerstown over the last few years that their team is soon to be gone from their area.
The difference is that there is a committed buyer (and more) involved that would result in a tumbling domino affect that would see the AA B-Mets in Wilmington Delaware,the current High A Blue Rocks sold to the Texas Rangers and moved from Wilmington to Kinston N.C. and leaving Binghamton with the hopes of maybe bringing a New York/Penn league team to town (most likely Batavia,but possibly Auburn or Vermont).
Binghamton allows an entry to the left field gate,but that entry does not allow one to return,so you might want to have your ducks in a row before entering the ballpark.

Binghamton's NYSEG stadium reminded me of an amalgam of two different parks that I have visited to-Potomac and Reading.
The elevation of the stadium's seats brought to mind Potomac,but the covered concession areas and the actual seating itself made me think of Reading.
Jason told him where to stand as I had more cards for the B-Mets than for the visiting squad from New Britain,
I really wanted to add the rehabbing Travis D'Arnaud on his two Top 100's and Jason said he had been signing,but Binghamton had a curve to throw.
The team corded off an area on the field for players to sign-if you were under 14.
D'Arnaud signed for them and passed on the rest of us.
Bad luck,but rehabbing players are usually far from a sure bet.
I did get pitcher Akeel Morris on his Bowman chrome,but this night wasn't about graphing as much as the other things.
I didn't eat at Binghamton because I was still full from the Spot,but Jason did buy me a lemon italian ice,which was quite good and at three dollars,a pretty reasonable price.

As I most often do,I climbed the concrete steps to sit high above the field.
I usually find the true fans of the game that you know-come for the game,there.
Not the wine and cheese crowd with beer in hand in the lower levels or the screaming for t-shirt bunch,the people that come for and love the game .
My pictures are a little crooked,but the Kindle fire is a touchy camera that that I still haven't quite mastered.
It's made for the notorious "Selfie" and lacks a rear viewing camera,so it's a balancing act for me.
Binghamton's team shop was pretty ordinary.
Actually what it reminded me most of was the old Hagerstown team shop before someone thought that it was a better idea to fill it with 20 year old games.
It was smallish,not well lit,but was functional enough.
I loaded up with B-Met teams sets for others and Mike was gracious enough to use a discount to snag me what he said was the last 2015 St.Lucie set in the place.
I've always wondered why teams didn't stock team sets of the feeder teams and Binghamton was smart enough to take advantage of the idea.
For example,if I ran Hagerstown,I'd order 25 sets of their feeder in Auburn and have their sets available.
I left the St.Lucie player cards that were now with Binghamton with Jason,so they could get signed,but the majority were placed in the pack for next season when they will be promoted to AA.

Binghamton's offense exploded and Jason said that we could come back anytime because "it's the best that they have hit all season!"
That led to the best part of the night.
I always have had a soft spot for the WHA hockey teams and especially the Hartford Whalers before their move to Carolina.
Brock Peterson hit one of his two homers on the night and the PA system blared "Brass Bonanza",which was the Whalers fight song after they scored a goal.
As I clapped,cheered and wondered why in the hell Brass Bonanza was being played at a Binghamton baseball game,Jason cleared it up with an explanation of Binghamton's AHL team formerly being a Whalers affiliate and corresponding name and the B-Mets kept it.
Note to the Hartford team entering the Eastern League next year-If you don't find a way to use Brass Bonanza,you are dropping the ball!


Considering that home was four hours away and the score was a lopsided 11-2,we decided to motor down the road and not get home too late-even still I got there around 1 AM.
I really enjoyed catching up with Jason and meeting his various friends from the graphing circuit.
It was fun connecting faces with the names and I'd certainly go back with the ease of the trip,especially if the right player/teams was there to graph.

I liked Binghamton.
It wasn't the greatest stadium as it isn't modern or even old enough to be considered a throwback classic,but I had a good time.
Isn't that what baseball is all about???

Next post will deal with the lovely Cherie and I's trip to Altoona!

No comments: