Monday, August 10, 2015

Loving Lake Erie!

The next stop on vacation was actually a trip to Frederick for the Keys against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans,but I'll talk about the graphing for that down the road.
Instead we will move onto the following day in which the lovely Cherie and I hit the Lake Erie area for a fun day by the lake and one of its river tributaries....

We decided to drive out via our normal route of the Pennsylvania turnpike because going up to the Lake Erie area is a faster trip taking that into the Ohio turnpike and then try a different route home.
We didn't make a stop (other than quick breaks for drinks etc) until we reached Grand River,which of course runs by the Grand River.
I had never been to the Mentor area,but I was looking for some place to eat that Cherie requested be "by the water".
Normally,I would have considered that to be Lake Erie,but if you've ever been to Cleveland (natives feel free to enlighten me),there is not a ton of places to eat that overlooks the lake from close range.
There are some places in Cleveland by the Cuyahoga River,but I didn't really want to go into Cleveland unless really needed as I wanted a place nearby Eastlake (home of the Captains) so if we were short time-wise,the park wouldn't be far away.

I did some online research on the area and came up with Brennan's Seafood House,right by the water and nearby.
I asked a Twitter follower (I follow her too) from Mentor about Brennan's and she suggested Pickle Bill's Lobster House.
I followed her advice (really,why ask advice on these matters,if you aren't going to follow it) and we were off.
After the drive and arriving in (and by) Grand River,I discovered one little secret that I hadn't known-Pickle Bill's and Brennan's are across a gravel road from each other and there is a bit of a rivalry,as there usually is in these situations at least between fans,if not owners.
Remember our example on Barberton Chicken?

Pickle Bill's has a nautical theme (go figure) and uses lots of bright colors to really stand out amongst the decor.
They fit in very well and would likely be a hit with kids too.

We asked to sit outside so that we can sit by the water,enjoy the beautiful weather and snap some pictures of the boats and ducks.
I usually like sitting outdoors to eat when the weather permits and in these situations,I think it adds to the mood and few things are better than the breeze off a waterfront.
Pickle Bill's offers lots of very nice options,many of them all you can eat.
I considered this,but I've never tried Perch or Walleye (Lake Erie specialties) and I wanted to know which to order.
Pickle Bill's didn't offer a AYCE combo of the two and it would have been eight extra dollars to the higher priced of the two (Walleye),so I ordered a regular sized of one and Cherie ordered a regular of the other,so we could try both.
Both were great and I'd be satisfied with a dinner of both,but I thought the Walleye had a stronger flavor slightly,which made sense because Cherie liked Perch better for the milder flavor.
Our waiter (very good BTW) said he thought perch was stronger flavored,but that goes to show you how tastes are different.
A great walleye and perch dinner later (Pickle Bill's is very vigilant on plate sharing on the AYCE,but they are fine with regular sharing) and some pictures by the water.
Sorry that I missed pictures of the fish.
I usually get those,but this time I was getting the pictures of the surroundings and it just slipped my mind.
The perch came into larger slabs,while the walleye were smaller,crispier pieces,so if that's a factor,keep that in mind...
Make sure you give Pickle Bill's a chance and don't forget about Brennan's either.
I'll try them sometime too!!

After a few pictures by the water,it was off to Eastlake,where we stood in line in the VIP section that I paid extra for.
I broke even as I sold the Jobu Captains bobblehead to Derreck and Brad,which made the game free.
I wouldn't have minded keeping a Jobu,but the chance to make this all paid for was just too much for this casual bobblehead collector.
The Captains kindly opened "the Cargo Hold" their team shop for us and I bought some Captains team sets for me and others,but sadly no Midwest League prospect set as they had sold out.
It helped to pass the time and credit the Captains for being smart to make some money,which is more than many teams do in similar situations....

The wait wasn't overly long (about 45 minutes all told) and Cherie and I easily chatted before going into Classic Stadium.
Cleveland Sports Night featured some former Browns and Cavaliers among a local boxer and MMA fighter that I had never heard of and former Indian Joe Charboneau.
Charboneau no showed due to "illness",but all other advertised guests were there.
We had a 15 minute head start on season ticket holders and a 30 minute lead on the general public,so you needed to move quickly.
I figured the Browns lines would grow the quickest,so the plan was to get there first,but I couldn't resist finishing one of my favorite childhood Cavaliers in Campy Russell quickly.
I talked to Campy briefly as he signed three cards and former Cavalier center Elmore Smith signed three more.
Both very nice fellows as we then tried to find the tables for Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner.
I figured that they would have separate tables,but they sat together.
Between Cherie and I,we got all of my cards for them finished and each signed a Browns helmet for me.
I mentioned to Mack that what I really wanted him to sign had I been able to get one was an L.A.Express helmet from Mack's USFL days,which made Mack's wife laugh out loud.
I had to get a Ravens picture of Byner signed for a friend,which Byner said "boy,you must have some guts bringing this in here!" After some razzing from Byner and fans,we moved into the line for Bernie Kosar,who was late.
After a half hour wait,Kosar walked in feeling little pain and we worked through the line.
Cherie had missed Kosar in Hagerstown,so she was looking forward to meeting him,.
It was a strict one per for Kosar,so I had Cherie get him on an 88 Topps and I put him on the other side of the Mack/Byner helmet to complete the backfield.
Bernie was feeling pretty good and when I told him our drive length,he exclaimed "All Right!" and gave me a fist bump.

We then moved to the field in an attempt to land Great Lakes prospect Grant Holmes on his top 100 card and things for others.
Holmes was important as I never have a chance at Dodger affiliates as Great Lakes is the closest team to us and not exactly next door.
A usher gave us a tip that the best place to graph was at a raised area beyond the right field line.
We went there and a very nice collector was there and helped us a bit.
He said he was going to Hagerstown in a few days (he didn't arrive) and I wish he had.Very nice guy that was helpful and now I have no contact info for him.
The clubhouses for both teams are beyond that point,so you can get them-IF you crouch down and fit items through the barred gate and then down to the waiting player to reach above his head (think of reaching down into the dugout).
Not great access and between local graphers along with kids (fireworks night),it was hard to even get into position to have a chance.
Fortunately,my new friend helped me get into position for Holmes,who signed my top 100,but I couldn't get baseballs to him from Mike and Fred Landucci,so things looked bleak until the lovely Cherie jumped in and grabbed a baseball,which Holmes signed for her.
Not sure which Landucci got to keep the ball,but her quick thinking helped things a lot!
We decided with an hour ride to our hotel to skip the game,which proved to be a good idea as I was exhausted by the time we got there.
A light dinner in the hotel and we were sleeping for the next day.

Back soon with a few tidbits from the final day of the Ohio trip!




No comments: